Highlight Appearance of Fire in Darktable

I said to reset the history so you start with the defaults and then disable filmic.

You should have highlight reconstruction , white balance, exposure and color calibration still enabled . Then crop and export as 32bit floating point TIFF in linear rec2020 (and test if you get the same problems… you should !)

Then you don’t need to tweak the white balance afterwards on the tif. You basically just export the file just before filmic in the pipeline … the results should be the same . I don’t see this as a fix, but to export part or you file that you are comfortable sharing we so we can help with filmic settings .
But it shouldn’t be hard at all.

In other news, a few people now have said to try different settings of the highlight reconstruction module , and to tweak the white slider in filmic to make things brighter to clip the signal so it looks ok to you.
This should get you there .

The only pictures I could fine that might have something similar is some kids with… don’t know the English word … Handheld sparkles during new years eve . It’s not as big as fire, but it is intense brightness that clipped the sensor and gives color cast ir you want to use all the signal . But just using the white slider in filmic to make it brighter fixed that right up, so I don’t know if it’s the same.
Maybe I could share it with you, then you try if you get the same issues with it :).

I wanted to disable as much as possible that comes after demosaicing, such that more things could be tested. Yes, I did not do the different highlight reconstruction settings yet. And, I forgot that white balance is different after you have a tiff with fully populated color channels. I’ll try harder to get a working crop example …

I did understand the purpose. However, I wanted to test if this works as expected and found it does not, most probably due to the “missing” white balance. I’ll do more experiments, but I want to make sure to come back with something useful such that I do not waste your time.

I think the white balance is part of the issue, as it can increase the difference between the color channels’ actual clipping levels.

If you set the white to a lower value in UI, on the contrary, it should give you more brightness. In the sample image you posted, your whites are too dark.

1 Like