Highlight Bloom and Photoillustration Look

in G’MIC 1.7.9 the direct G’MIC commands return an error:Unknown command or filename ‘–gimp_anisotropic_smoothing[0]’.

Is it OK to replace ‘–gimp_anisotropic_smoothing[0]’ with ‘–gimp_smooth_anisotropic[0]’?

I would think so, though I’ll defer to @David_Tschumperle to be sure.

Yes it is, the command has been renamed in latest version.

thank you :slight_smile:

Hi guys
I’m trying to replicate this and I simply cannot due to an mysterious problem…
When I try to do some local contrast, even with this example photo, I got some strange squares:

Software: Gimp 2.8 with g’mic 1.7.9 on linux mint machine.
Any suggestions anyone?
Wish you guys merry Christmas :slight_smile:

I would turn off the Parallel processing. That’s what is causing this problem most likely.

Thank you Pat, it helps :slight_smile:
So, I can show you my 1st attempt:
Before:

After:
I think few more photos, more experiments and the effects will be great :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This one is pretty neat!

Here’s a script-fu for the complete workflow:
hillustrative.scm (2.6 KB)

It works fine in Gimp >= 2.9, if it doesn’t work in lower Gimp versions please try this one:
hillustrative-2.8.scm (2.6 KB)

This is my first script, I hope I did it correctly.

2 Likes

Can I add these to our script repo?

Sure if you can confirm the script works.

I’ll give it a go when I get on my laptop in a bit!

Hi sguyader,

I’ m using GIMP 2.9 and getting following error:

“Procedure execution of plug-in-gmic failed on invalid input arguments”

Both scripts are working for me, I’ll add the 2.9 one to the repo!

1 Like

Added your scripts here: Added Highlight Bloom and Photoillustration filter. · pixlsus/GIMP-Scripts@febbcab · GitHub

Thanks!

1 Like

Hi Boris,

I guess you have the G’MIC gimp plugin installed? Which version do you use?

Yes Sebastien, I’m using G’MIC plugin Version 1.7.9.

I’m still using version 1.7.7, maybe something has changed in the more recent version, but I’m not a G’MIC / script expert… I hope someone more knowledgeable will chime in.

In the mean time, I added another step to my workflow, which consists in a tone mapping step (-gimp_map_tones_fast 15,0.5,11,0) at the beginning of the workflow, which exagerates the illustrated look. Here’s the new version of the script:
hillustrative.scm (2.7 KB)

@s7habo Boris, I ran into the same problem by updating to G’MIC 1.7.9, it happens because the -gmic_anisotropic_smoothing command has been renamed to -gimp_smooth_anisotropic.

So with G’MIC >= 1.7.9, please use the following script:
hillustrative.scm (2.7 KB)

If you think the latest change I made (adding the -gimp_map_tones_fast step) is too strong, you can either comment line 13 in the script, or tweak the settings for this filter.

2 Likes

@sguyader Wow! It works now. Sebastien, thanks a lot for script, help and for clarification!