Highlight recovery in DT and RT

I’m a bit confused here. Darktable 3.7 (if you start over, discard the history of the file or save it somewhere, and make sure in the preferences your workflow-defaults are set to scene-referred and modern-color) you are not even that far off from the default look?

This is really the complete default I get when loading your file?

Your jpg example is brighter, yes. And it seems to contain even a bit less saturation. But the contrast isn’t that far off, to be honest.

Raise exposure to 1.5:

activate lens correction:

in filmic, turn latitude all the way to the right (or almost all the way, +/- 48%)
then in the 1st tab (scene), hit the auto button.

Increase contrast in film a bit to +/- 1.45 / 1.5:

The field in the bottom of the picture is a bit too dark in mine. Enable ‘tone equalizer’, go to the advanced tab, move your mouse cursor now to your image over the bottom of the picture and give a few nudges of the mousewheel up or down to tweak the tones.

After that I smooth the curve a bit manually to extend all the way to the very darks, I end up with this:

Enable ‘color balance rgb’, hit the ‘add basic colorfulness’ preset.

The image could add a bit of clarity / local contrast, specially in the clouds in the sky.

I use my trick for this, ‘local contrast’ module in bilateral mode, very low contrast (3), very high details (>300%). Then enable a ‘parametric mask’ to select just the highlights, tweak blend opacity to taste to control effect strength:

turn mask-preview back off, then tweak opacity slider to finely control the effect:

play with highlight-reconstruction modes to see which you like best (also try the ‘off’ mode :P)., I ended up using ‘reconstruct color’ and lowering the clipping threshold a bit, to turn the sun disc more yellow instead of plain white:

For sharpening I enable ‘diffuse’ module with the ‘AA filter’ preset, and move the module before ‘input profile’ (so below it). Then I add another isntance of ‘difufse’ and use the ‘lens blur medium’ preset, and move it above ‘input profile’.

Viewed at 50%, the sharpening is a nice blend between subtle but noticeable, but this if of course a different taste for everybody. Pick your own. Might also be fun to add a 3rd instance of ‘diffuse’ with the dehaze preset (it’s not that strong out of the box), but I think you are going for the hazy look, so you might not. Three instances of diffuse can bring big systems to their knees, specially if OpenCL is not working :).

Final jpg export:

Well, normally I would do some kind of output sharpening, but my Lua is broken apparently, and I have no energy to start up Photoshop now :).

This is of course not 100% one to one, but in my eyes it does a very similar thing as your preview jpg.

If not, I would love to hear what differences you think are show-stoppers for you!

(PS: Filmulator also seems to do a nice no-hassle way with this!)

3 Likes

Nice explanation. AP has just moved the default position for diffuse to come after ie above color calibration…apparently having the color channels balanced allows better edge performance I think was the explanation?? Could be wrong…

1 Like

Try using lightness blend mode with filmic…it really cuts down the desaturation and sometimes that is okay. To me your image is a nice use case at least for my taste to do it… Also play with the color preservation modes…for some images its not too big a difference and for others you get quite a different result…

1 Like

It’s not easy to get right colors in Sunsets/rises with DT.
Often it is purple/magenta instead of orange. Tipp: turn off “preserve chrominance” and resaturate e.g. with “color balance”.
Happy editing!

1 Like

What I cannot manage is the light halo around the sun. It is always too much hard in the passage to the darker zone near to it. Also some super white ray through clouds makes feel like the daen was reflected in the water.

Thank you all! I will take a look at all you edit version. I’m on windows 10 so I think I cannot install 3.7 version of Darktable. In general, by seeing jpg, it seems to me that color gamut is the way I was looking for. Also RT seems more balanced straight away. I will try everything. Thank you!

For sure you can have 3.7…here is a build from just a few days ago…darktable windows insider program 10/10

there is an update each Sunday…

You can do other things too…so here I just used a drawn mask and colorize…sampled the sky around the sun…then just blended it in…also used retouch to clear away that band across it…using opacity and the colorize settings you can tweak the sun hue and saturation …this is quite zoomed in and I just threw it in there…so when you zoom out its pretty good…so fix the sun that way and then use the tone eq to setup the sky…I took a quick run at it with ART and RT …neither really handled the sun that fantastically IMO …but I am not as familiar with them…

Zoomed out…

I like the way you recovered highlight details, I think that the overall result is also better than my jpg.

Thank you!

I think this comes quite close to the original JPG (done in dt 3.6).

img-70db00752b83805d75f0b0021c12ba47.CR2.xmp (15.4 KB)

1 Like

Thanks for posting
darktable 3.6.1

img-70db00752b83805d75f0b0021c12ba47_03.CR2.xmp (12.8 KB)

2 Likes

My own, moody and foggy interpretation. I like the tones in the colored parts of the sky above the sun.

img-70db00752b83805d75f0b0021c12ba47.CR2.xmp (10.3 KB)

2 Likes

Only a blend of three exposure settings with Enfuse.

img-70db00752b83805d75f0b0021c12ba47.jpg.out.pp3 (11.6 KB)
Uploading: img-70db00752b83805d75f0b0021c12ba47.jpg…

img-70db00752b83805d75f0b0021c12ba47.CR2.xmp (12.8 KB)

My 2 cents… preserve chrominance “no”
I have dozens of sunset - mostly all the same.

1 Like

I agree the chrome preservation has a big impact…also blending filmic in lightness mode preserved a lot more color than the default setting

For me, the point is the color shifting: orange into magenta/purple/pink.
Sometimes a sunset looks pink, but if it’s orange, it has to be orange.

Ya not being there you have to trust the camera WB on this one as there is no good reference and the auto or auto of the average takes all the orange out of it…so unless you were there hard to make a good call on the “true” WB or at least the way we would each see it

and this is my take of it (img-70db00752b83805d75f0b0021c12ba47.CR2.xmp 11.6 KB)

1 Like