Hooray for the end of Covid?

The community association where I live decided to have a fireworks show this weekend; there wasn’t really an occasion, but the shows they typically do on Canada Day and New Years Eve shows were cancelled due to Covid this year. Perhaps it was a “Covid restrictions are cancelled” show.

Light processing with darktable.

6 Likes

Great picture, but down south in the USA our show is COVID 2: Revenge of the Delta.

2 Likes

Pretty much everywhere. Iceland reinstituted some restrictions at the end of July - fortunately mild restrictions (mostly “put your masks back on please” and restrictions that focus heavily on nightclubs), but still my family is watching day by day hoping that more restrictions don’t kill our vacation next week.

But it’s especially bad down South - especially in Florida.

Great capture. I am planning to photograph the fireworks in Budapest on Friday. I think I don’t even remember any more how to shoot fireworks.
In Hungary, almost everybody is vaccinated and elderly people are getting their third vaccine. I was there because of a wedding in July. Masks were not obligatory any more. Well, everybody is vaccinated because there are no free tests. So either you have the vaccine or you are not allowed to do anything that’s fun.
According to national tv, the number of sick/infected people is not rising, but who knows how reliable that info is. But I think it’s true.
Another fireworks show that was scheduled for the end of July here in Vienna was cancelled because of Covid.

If testing is not free, then any case numbers are completely useless.

Iceland has always been known for being fairly aggressive about contact tracing and testing (even random surveillance testing), which is how they’re catching a very high rate of asymptomatic breakthrough infections. (Over 50% of Iceland’s cases are breakthroughs, and the government has said that those are almost entirely either very mild or asymptomatic.)

@Karl Nice capture! Where was that?

@betazoid Ah national TV, could be great or a downer. I am just tired of people not making it concise and straightforward. Somehow, everything needs to be done a certain way so that people can be manipulated for good or bad reasons. It is exhausting for the regular person that people just stop caring or worse get fed up, which is what we see across the globe. However, that doesn’t include people who are truly suffering due to what little resources or autonomy they have. For these people, COVID-19 will never truly go away even when the rhetoric stops.

I have work now but it would be great to have an informal virtual community meet again sometime. :wink:

So many ways to react to this post:

• Beautiful capture of the fireworks!
  • Premature celebration of the end of COVID. Every time a country or region acts like it’s over, there is another surge. And I know people who live in countries that have only received enough vaccine to help a small proportion of their people.
  • Our dog is still in distress from the fireworks on May 24 here. I used to be Mr. Fireworks, but no more.
2 Likes

Thanks! This was in Edmonton, Alberta.

Thank you; yes, premature is certainly how I see it too. Case numbers are climbing, and our border with the US is open again. The provincial government handled things poorly before (waiting too long to act, and not doing enough when they did), and this is just another piece. (We have the lowest vaccination rate of anywhere in the country.)

Fireworks scare our dog too - there was a display put on by the city that was about 10km away from us, and he still spent the night hiding in the bathtub.

1 Like

what about August 29 (afternoon in Americas/evening in Europe)?

1 Like

Not just at the country or region level.

Every time HR at my company sends an email outlining return-to-office plans… Surge time!!!

1 Like