How are you installing darktable on linux?

as said: I am a photographer, not a developer. I use darktable, I don’t code. As GitHub requires to describe a problem in your own words, I just do that, then I answer to questions as good as I can.

current, 957, has a problem:
lamb14 failed “build darktable.spec” at Tue Mar 17 10:02:20 UTC 2020.

You are not required to code and I agree you answer what you can, that’s fair.

But in any case we have to find some communication channel to understand your issue and then have a chance to fix it.
Telling me if you see the altered symbol on thumbnail, or which is the version of sqlite on your machine, would have helped to understand what the issue was about.

I still do not understand why you ended up with a dev/nightly version of dt.
If one follows the installation instructions on darktable.org, one is led to the distro choice. For ubuntu it shows to either install via the distro repos (older version) or to install a newer version via third party package.
There it gives you three options for the OBS, the first one being the latest stable release and two other choices, leading one to snapshots (dev/nightly stuff).

I started using the OBS as it was the natural way for an openSuse user anyway. But also for a total of three machines running 18.04 there have not been major hickups for me so far. The outdated Release.key/signature which prevented apt from updating to a higher version was fixed only a couple of hours/days past announcement on this board.

I was not even aware that there is a ppa out there as well. Maybe, IMHO, it is time to really focus on one stable way of distributing dt. OBS makes total sense here, as it supports a lot of common distros. That would also reduce the administration part as a whole, including documentation.
Maybe separate the link to the stable build visually on the website from the nightly versions. Greater spacing between links, different colors or the dev versions on the page’s bottom. That whole discussion shows, that a mix up might be possible.

Concerning the updates of lighttable thumbnails:
No problems under 3.0.1 (stable from OBS under 18.04). Maybe, before updating sql systemwide, I would import some affected pictures in a test library that starts from scratch and see what happens than. Maybe there was some mess up with the library itself as beachbum runs 3.1

for the fun of it: I uninstalled darktable three days ago, removed the OSB repo from sources.list and added the “unofficial” ubuntuusers1 PPA. Now 3.01 works flawlessly. That’s my only and MAJOR concern: click on the dt icon and get productive.

I have no preference for a ppa or the OSB repo. I just wish for a structured and “no brainer” way of getting dt to work and up to date. darktable is a very important tool in my workflow.

1. the OBS repositories also offer the release package (graphics:darktable) (which even has the fix for the base adjustment module already)
  2. it also offers the snapshot of the current stable branch (graphics:darktable:stable)
  3. last but not least … the master branch (graphics:darktable:master)

how you ended up with master branch is something for you to figure out. maybe you were eager to get your hands on 3.0 and then just stuck with it. But you added it to your machine. master is mostly stable but it is development and can be broken as well.

I think the explanation on

is pretty good. if not … I am sure the darktable team is open for suggestions on how to improve them.

2 Likes

For some time, I’m using OBS binaries directly without the PPA repository.

I usually follow github repository changes (pendings PRs and commited changes in master). When I see something that I’d like to have then I update darktable.

As well to avoid possible problems I keep old binary packages in case of needing a rollback.
It could require a databases backup but following the repository you can foresee (more or less) that cases.

1 Like

I don’t want to open a new thread, so I post this here:

i’m not the only one

I’m trying to build, install and run the latest commit from darktable-3.0.x branch. When I run it I get:

[defaults] found a 64-bit system with 32897216 kb ram and 16 cores (0 atom based)
[defaults] setting very high quality defaults
[dt_ioppr_check_so_iop_order] missing iop_order for module negadoctor
ERROR: iop order looks bad, aborting.

(I remember getting this when 3.0.1 was released so I switched to master. Unfortunately, master is now giving me errors about not having clang installed amongst other things.)

I’ve removed my ~/.config/darktable folder in case there’s anything incompatible from an older version in there. I updated the rawspeed submodule. This should be the first run of a clean install. I don’t see anything interesting in the output when I run with -d all.

For my Darktable installs on Ubuntu 18.04 I use PPA Repo ppa:dhor/myway https://launchpad.net/~dhor/+archive/ubuntu/myway.
The latest version available is DT 3.0.1

Thanks but I was after 3.0.2. Maybe I’ll investigate a flatpak. I’m using a pretty clean, standard system though. Shouldn’t it just work?

You can’t go from master back to release and keep your edits.

I never keep anything. I import raws, edit, export jpegs and delete the raws.

I would consider keeping your raws, throwing them out is like throwing out your negatives!

The module iop order might be in your database.

If you built both from source in the same directory, make sure you empty your build directory - the negadoctor files might be hanging around from your previous install.

I’m happy throwing out my negatives - I’m not doing this for the money. It’s holiday photos, the kids, days out etc. I’ll keep a few raws if I’m not happy with my attempts at fixing problems with the current version of whatever editor I’m using.

I deleted ~/.config/darktable. So I should have no database; there should be nothing related to any previous runs, should there? Unless other folders contain old state?

3.0.2 is now running from flatpak, although I’d rather run from source so I can be more self-sufficient, assuming it can be built and run from git, that is!

Well I did a git clean -fdx when I pulled, so I assumed I was back to square one. And this is the same error I got back in January or whenever 3.0.1 was released, when I built from source for the very first time.

You also need to clear down your target install directory, as darktable loads the .so files from there.

There will be a ‘libnegadoctor.so’ hanging around in your lib/darktable/plugins directory - remove it

1 Like

The flatpak is built from source. You can grab the flatpak manifest from github and build it locally as well. With flatpak you could build both stable and master and have both installed at the same time. With the flatpak you can try different versions of build dependencies, such as lens fun and exiv2, without having to rebuild your system version.

2 Likes

Yes, that did the trick. Had a little quirk in that flatpak version. I created a style so I could have lens correction enabled, saved it, selected all my photos and double clicked the style and it turned them all (well, 98% of them!) pink. Turns out the raw black/white point module had chosen strange values; setting them to the default fixed it. Then I ran from the source from git and this wasn’t a problem except for the ones I’d previously fixed by hand - resetting to the default values for that module again fixed the problem, but with different default values. Odd.

1 Like