how can i extend a backdrop in gimp?

I would like to extend a backdrop such as this (example below). I guess i am looking for something similar to the Photoshop content aware tool.

MG_0679-1

There is a resynthesize plugin that does content-aware fill (and is older than the Photoshop function). The GMIC filter suite also has various inpainting filters, here for instance the output of the Inpaint[Transport-Diffusion] ones:

GMIC is available here, as an independent app or, in the case at hand, as a Gimp plugin, and is discussed here on pixls.us

4 Likes

There would be many easy ways of doing this. Later I can demonstrate if that helps.
Use the eyedropper tool to sample the background color and have this colour set as foreground color. The create a new layer filled with the foreground color. Move this layer underneath the layer with the image. Create a mask for the top layer with the man. Using black ink paint into the mak to show the lower layer which will match the background. Flatten the image and fix any imperfections with the cloning or healing tools in GIMP. This would be super easy to do.

Another method. Sample the color with the eyedropper tool and then use a paint brush to paint over everywhere that is not covered by the background. If I get time today I will have a go and post which method was easiest.

2 Likes

As an alternative the old Gimp plugin liquid rescale.

Crop the image to remove the edges. Paint in a keep mask. Increase the image size back to original dimensions.

The plugin is available for Windows and linux, I do not know about MacOS.

2 Likes