How can I get rid of this yellowish sky in darktable?

You could work on the sky many ways but if you just don’t like the yellow then I think the most staitforward thing to do would be to use CB module… go to the masks tab and click on the two autopickers…

This sets your tonal masks… Now you can also adjust this after you play with the color…

Now go to 4 way tab and hit the autopicker for the hue and draw a box in the yellow area. It will pick the opponent color and try to cancel it… you can increase or decrease the effect with the highlight chroma slider and even slightly tweak the hue… This should tone down the yellow to your liking…maybe fade it out to a trace?? You could further mask or what ever or you could go back to the mask tab in CB and slide the middle gray slider back and forth to move your adjustment more to the highlights or also into the midtones a bit and you could even tweak the rolloff… steep for contrast or flat for smoother effect… Often just the autopicker and tweaking the amount with chroma is enough

2 Likes

Many thanks for the tips. Using both CB and CZ modules and some masking you have really powerful tools in your hands. I usually try avoiding masking other than correcting exposure and contrast in some areas of the shot (I am an old guy, trained in a real dark room using paper masks shaken under the my Durst enlarger beam over Brovira paper …), but I am learning how effective they can be. Again, thank you. Here my latest edit. There are better results in this thread, but this seems the most realistic and natural to me.

DSC00486_01.ARW.xmp (18.7 KB)

5 Likes

DSC00486.ARW.xmp (15.0 KB)

1 Like