How did YOU handle the abstinence?

Too hot here to go outside.

2 Likes

Too wet, here, to go anywhere — as always.

• Daily staring down the cached site as if it was the last thing I would ever see

• Checking Twitter (ahem, “X”) for progress reports (via a “viewer” because I don’t have an account)

• Preoccupied with the antics of the local squirrels and raccoons

• One of them took an ant poison canister and  put it at the tip of the evergreen  in the backyard like a star or angel on a Christmas tree!

PS - the evergreen is more than two stories tall.

Me: Mom, do you see that on the tree? Looks metallic.
Mom: Yes, it looks like one of the ant traps you placed near the AC.
Me: :open_mouth:

2 Likes

For an addict like me, it was quite hard to handle. I checked the site over and over again every day. I even tried to spend my time on photography, but it did not really help :innocent:.

2 Likes

Checking Pixls’ pulse in the morning, going to work, checking pulse at lunch, getting back to work, checking pulse while coming home, random family stuff, checking pulse in the evening, learning G’MIC and building pipelines that go nowhere, gathering ideas in my head while crashing the laptop, turning working pipelines into filters that crash the laptop, sending random pull request to @David_Tschumperle, checking pulse before going to bed :sweat_smile:

At some point I just went on IRC and found @patdavid who told me about the situation. Also changed the look of my Plasma desktop (It seems I’m into pixel (pixls??) art these days).

3 Likes

@prawnsushi Thing is, having a bad memory, I forgot where to find @patdavid et al. on IRC. Normally search for the forums for the weblink. :no_mouth:

1 Like

@afre I just used the link on the G’MIC website (community tab).
It was my first time on IRC, too. Didn’t know what to expect so I didn’t even change the default random name :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Yes, it was kind of like Rogers Hornsby: “People ask me what i do in the winter when there’s no baseball. I’ll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring.”

I finally got around to activate my Matrix account to get into the PIXLS.US chat - and then the instance changed the hardware and messed something up with the transfer of the file system…

I played a bit with fediverse stuff and procrastinated on my tax return. Read camera manuals and hit F5.

Interesting, what did you find? There is so much new stuff…

1 Like

Nor on my own machine, which I had updated at the beginning of the month.
I also joined Mastodon to try to get some social networking on photography

The outage coincidentally lined up with our Pacific Northwest road trip, 2 1/2 weeks showing up at national parks and relatives with my wife and granddaughters. Visiting my wife’s aunt in Oregon, we all went to see the Barbie movie. Lord knows pixls came back not a moment too soon… :crazy_face:

My respite was to code a spot removal tool for rawproc, working in the early morning hours while the late night rabble rousing women slept. I’ll push it to the repo this weekend, after I write the documentation.

2 Likes

Ahhh… The Great Pixls Outage Of 2023…
I missed it for sure. I tried out IRC chat for the first time, found it confusing but did get to the darktable, um, group, server, whatever its called, where someone kindly gave me a link to nitter.unixfox.eu/pixlsus where I got some updates on what happened.
Apart from that, I spent some time on RPF at realphotographersforum.com, my only other group, which is great but very different emphasise to Pixls.

Oh, and I made camera ICC profiles, and switched to displayCal instead of the proprietary software, bemoaning the lack of Pixls all the way…
And I took some photos!:innocent:

:exploding_head: What did you think of that??

Good find: I didn’t realize it linked to #pixls.us!
I used to use IRC a lot a long time ago, but not anymore.

It was pretty funny. I want a mojo dojo casa house… :laughing:

1 Like

G’MIC Doodling. See Reptorian G’MIC Filters, post #1070.

I got bored with my computer and worked around my property instead playing with darktable. Please don’t do that to me again.

1 Like

Mostly, I stayed submerged in my work. Other than that:

• Shots taken: 0 (including my phone because the camera has failed in it)
  • Locations scouted: 2
  • Edit: edits of photos: 0
  • Frequency of checks for pixls.us return: approx. 3/day
  • Frequency of checks for availability of dt 4.4 on OBS: approx. every second day

I looked at Flickr and Vero more than usual, and watched a few YouTube vids.

1 Like

I tried to discipline myself to not ask if anyone had heard any updates. I was occasionally successful…

4 Likes