How do I apply an HSV Equalizer to a certain area/color?

I have a picture that I’m editing where there are many orange lit bulbs and one of them is an incandescent white. Is there a way to specify an HSV equalizer to that direct area? When I mess with the orange/yellow HSV sliders and anything in between, it effects both lights.

I know for Adobe Lightroom there is an HSL adjustment window that allows you to target specific colors with a targeting tool (CMD+ALT+SHIFT+H).

I’m quite new to editing software, so please forgive my ignorance.

Some tools can target specific hues, specific chromaticities or other specific properties, but the adjustments are global.
You’d need to provide a screenshot or even better the raw file itself to get more accurate help.

1 Like

In this picture, there’s 3 lights visible and the one in the front is yellow where as the others are orange.

I appreciate any advice or help!

This is probably best accomplished by exporting two versions of your image and blending them in something like GIMP later.

1 Like

Thank you. I will try that now and mark this solved. :slight_smile:

Though I agree with @patdavid, in this case you can actually do it in RT because the hues differ. I used the pipette to pick a point on the Lab* HH curve for the orange light to protect it, and a point for the greenish light to adjust it:
lights.rtc (191 Bytes)

2 Likes

The problem with the Lab* HH curve is that the orange light has some yellow too, and if you look closely it leads to some artifacts (posterization). So for a more perfect job, going into Gimp is the way to go in this case.
Or, in RT it would be perfect if there were a HH curve in the local lab branch. @jdc is it possible to include the HH curve in local lab? I think it would be handy.

1 Like

That’s more of what I was looking for. Thank you Morgan for I will learn and use that option for other pictures I also have problems with. :slight_smile:

I ended up going through my normal color grade on RT last night. I later exported it into Paint.NET as a .jpg and masked a few layers onto the first light to make it more similar to the third light in the back.

Thank you, everyone, for great advice and ideas!

edit: Sorry for the watermark, I am a little wary.

1 Like

I’m not disagreeing with what you wrote, but remember that I used a JPEG screenshot while @rpbates2 is working from a raw file - less chance of artifacts.

@rpbates2 speaking of which, consider using 16-bit TIFFs throughout your workflow, and saving to JPEG only in the last step.

1 Like

I’ll do that from now @Morgan_Hardwood . Thanks for helping an amateur. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@sguyader

Hello Sebastien

I’ll have a look :slight_smile:

Jacques

1 Like