How do I switch from edit window to browser window?

I have been playing around in RawTherapee and trying to familiarize myself with the numerous (overwhelming) options.
One stumbling block I have run against is that, once I get an image ready to save, I cannot figure out how to get out of the editor and back to the browser window without just X-ing/closing and starting all over.
What am I not seeing ?
Thanks for reading.

Click the file browser tab. I’m mobile or I’d screenshot for you.

1 Like

I must be blind; I have scrutinized the edit window thoroughly and cannot see a “file browser tab”; when I do find it I will probably feel silly for not seeing it.

Thanks.

Top left of the program window. There are three tabs along the top left side of the window:

Well, this is weird; if I send a file to RawTherapee from one of my other image editors, it opens in the edit window and there ARE NO tab options to toggle back and forth from browser to editor; they are just not there; when I finish with an image and save it, my only option is to close RawTherapee.

If I select/send more than one image, instead of putting these images in queue, it opens a completely separate edit window for each image; this is kind of handy, but sometimes it overwhelms even my racehorse computer.

However, if I open RawTherapee by clicking on the task-bar icon, it opens the browser window, the little tabs are there, and I can toggle back and forth to a fare-the-well.

Thanks for the picture; it was a huge help in getting this situation figured out.

If you send a file to RawTherapee, it assumes you only want to use it as a processor, since you are using something else to view and organize, and thus does not show you the File Browser, as that’s redundant.

If you open it regularly, without send a file to it, it’ll open the File Browser, as it assumes you need to find a file to edit. It remember your last location.

Thanks.
I will get this conquered one of these days.

They have fairly comprehensive documentation on their wiki, called rawpedia. Mediawiki’s search isn’t my favorite, but it is workable and the information is structured well.

When you run RawTherapee by passing a file as an argument (e.g. right-click on a photo and select “Open with RawTherapee”) then it opens in no-File-Browser mode, which is a remnant from the past and I/we want to get rid of it.
https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/issues/2238

Which is interesting, as I recall the last time I tried to use RT from digikam I’d open the file from digikam into RT and then couldn’t work out how to send it to the processing queue to process the image.

I’ll need to revisit this and confirm that behaviour.

Truth is, I really want to get the DAM and processing workflow sorted out. As it is, I have too many things, digikam, RT, darktable, gimp all doing different things and at the end of the day the DAM isn’t keeping in sync WRT tagging, ranking etc.

I have also found on Windows that I don’t have access to the queue if it’s in “single image” mode. That’s a bummer, because I have the queue set up with custom filename/path parameters which I’m now unable to use. :frowning:

In my experience this doesn’t occur on the Mac but does in Windows.

What’s the status of this? As far as I can tell from looking at the github page, it’s an orphaned issue.

No progress yet.

Any chance of progress on this? How can I easily open a full version of of RT from an “open with” or as an external editor called from some other program on a Windows 7 machine (and presumably Win10.)? There is no easy way to add a -w -R switch to such a command. Or if there is, I sure don’t know it. And even if I could, the resultant behaviour is not particularly satisfactory. If you have a currently running version of RT and then you call “rawtherapee.exe -R filename”, it doesn’t open the file in the currently running instance, but rather it spawns a duplicate instance and opens the file in that second instance. And this takes a while.

The reason I bring this up now is that I just discovered that on the Mac version of RT, it behaves sensibly. That is, there is no -R option. As far as I can see the no-file-browser mode doesn’t seem to exist on the Mac version. “open with” RT or calling RT from another program opens up the full version of RT and it doesn’t spawn a second instance if one is already running. So it can be rather quick to respond.

Anyway, in my opinion it would be great to have the windows version mimic the behaviour of the Mac version. At the very least rawpedia should be updated to reflect the current situation. (Reload, Remote or Running?, differences between OSs etc.)

Thanks
Bob M

I am on Win 10 machine and RT 5.6 opens with file browser when I open it by right clicking on an image and choose Open with RawTherapee option.

Win 7 64bit 5.6 RT. “Open with RawTherapee” in right click menu on files in Windows File Manager does open RT in File Browser mode. “Open with” then choosing RT in sub menu list when right clicking file opens in Editor (no file browser) mode as happens when I send an image to RT from a third party application (image catalogues).

Check the registry (see screenshot) and add the -R parameter to the open command

The above works for both right click options in File Manager but not from within third party apps.

For reference,
https://github.com/Beep6581/RawTherapee/issues/2238#issuecomment-317187543