How do you do a manual white balance when you don't have a neutral white or black in the image?

Hello,
I need to edit photos of an artist’s work. Only with the WB I have due difficulties, because unfortunately he had used an AWB.
How do you do a manual white balance when you don’t have a neutral white or black in the image?
Automatic white balance sometimes gives good results, sometimes useless. So I have to go ahead manually.

Unfortunately, the paper tone is not a neutral white, but rather a cream white color. But it is important that all pictures get the same tone for the paper and the passe-partout.
Is there a way to transfer a specific tone, from the paper in the passe-partout, for example, from one successfully processed image to another?

1 Like

Abends, Micha!

Is there a way to transfer a specific tone, from the paper in the passe-partout, for example, from one successfully processed image to another?

darktable has such a feature, but I do not know of any in The Gimp or g’mic
(wouldn’t surprise me if they have, though).

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

Try this

1)load one image with the cyan cast and duplicate it, sample the color cast from the wall

2)fill the top layer with the sampled color

1. set the top layer to divide

2. load this image (this image was created sampling the wall in the “correct” image Schoppel_arbor_5_o)

3. set this layer to multiply

2 Likes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gr692iyYBUI Another couple of ways that could work…

Hello
that sounds very interesting. The first 3 steps were easy to follow.
But then:
4. where did you get this “color sampled” from? Did you take it out of a well processed image? And why does an image in Mode: Multiply take on this color? Very exciting but still fully mysterious for me.

from here, this is just step 1 and 2 on this image

1 Like

Using PatDavid’s skin tone matching technique using the color of the two passe-partout:

Other cameras would have put their “computed” color temperature in the Exif (unfortunately not the case here), so you could use that as a starting point in Colors > Color temperature, the other slider being either eyeballed, or set to some estimate of the actual color temperature of the light source.

Btw, there is a slight reddish cast at the bottom of the passe-partout, also visible in the "good " one.

2 Likes

Actually we know that white balance is just a multiplication and:
cyan * x=cream => x=cream/cyan => wb_image=original_image*x
:grin:

unfortunately, I still don’t understand that.
How do you create this monotone gray or cream like image?

I’ve created the solid color image from the one called Schoppel arbor 5

Very amazing what is possible there. And the content of Pat Davis’ tutorial is absolutely logical and easy to follow.
The effort to execute it is huge if you want to do it perfectly. But with the two color pickers is well doable. I don’t have to match all the tones perfectly.
Your contribution and that of Pat has expanded my knowledge well.

The color cast at the bottom is from daylight illumination when taking the photo. I think you can live with it.

this is just step 1 and 2 on this image
Got it. It’s quite simple.

Maybe it would have been better if I had just asked a question first:
How do you do a manual white balance when you don’t have reliable gray or white values?
I do it with the curves: There I adjust the values for R, G and B so that the curve starts just before the black mountains and ends a little after the white ones. This works quite well.

How do you do that?

Here is another possibility.

We assume that the photo in the upper layer has correct white balance and we want to transfer this to the lower layers (other photos):

First I create a mask on the upper layer so that I can see the lower layer:

I turn off the upper layer and apply the white balance with levels to the lower layer. I can either do this automatically or use three color pickers for shadows, middle gray and highlights:

I don’t apply it immediately, but first select the option “Edit this settings as curves”:

Levels closes and opens a curves window where I can further adjust this white balance as curves. I also activate the upper layer to have a comparison:

In this case I had to decrease the value of brightness in highlights and increase the value of blue:

But before I apply the correction, I click on plus sign in curves and save this correction as a preset:

Now I can apply this preset to all photos (layers):

4 Likes

Hello @s7habo
Great!! The Layers idea is the solution to this problem. Pretty simple in principle, easy to follow and very effective.
Thanks a million, Boris.

1 Like

If you switch on the “logarythmic histogram” (at color levels or color curves), you can see much more precisely the values (the amount of pixels at the beginning and at the end of the scale). Why don’t you always use this setting? And, isn’t this setting much better for white balance?

The difference in the display is so huge: When is which setting useful?

Were they all shot under the same light? If so, can you go back to the location and take a shot with a white balance reference in it?

1 Like

Don’t pay attention to that. Those were the settings I had when processing the photo before and forgot to change. :upside_down_face:

Hello @ggbutcher
No, unfortunately my friend took the photos in changing daylight. The color of the mounts is always the same, so I can go by that.
If I edit the photos further, he will bring me an original. Possibly I will re-shoot it with white balance and then have a reference.
Of course I could re-photograph all 10 pictures for him, but it is also interesting for me to learn how to solve such a problem with Gimp.

1 Like

But there is a big difference in the display whether logarithmic or linear. With logarithmic, I can see much more clearly where the “mountains” of the light distribution are than with linear. And when I manually adjust the white balance, it makes a significant difference. The linear histogram seems to understate the extremes.
My question is: when to use logarithmic and when linear display of the histogram?