how see png - jpg filesize

Hi all,
I’m not an expert, but I’m sure that I used to be able to compress a photo (3Mb) down to about 8Kbytes and still make it look reasonable for a web page.
Is there any way on GIMP to see the current file size as I experiment?
Or am I missing something?
Thanks, Chris

Hello, you might want to install gimp-plugin-registry, a package with lots of plug-ins for Gimp. One of them is called Save-for-web, it shows the actual image quality in a preview window with different compression settings. In the menu it shows up under File - Save for web.

Thanks Paul - I’ll try that!

Nor necessary in gimp 2.10…

In Gimp 2.10, for Jpeg, just click the “Show preview in image window” option in the dialog, this makes Gimp pre-compute the file size as you change the settings.

No such thing for PNG though, but there is no setting that realistically changes the output size, you have to do more extensive editing of the image (make it indexed, scale it, etc…) to change the output size.

You’re right @Ofnuts, that’s the better way to do it.

Thanks All - that’s solved my problem

Can you point me to the place to download this? I’m only finding broken links.

Also, what version of gimp are you using, if you don’t mind me asking? I am afraid of upgrading and loosing the save for web plugin.

@Ofnuts I’m using Gimp 2.10. and my export dialogue doesn’t have the option you mention:

As mentioned in my post, this is only for JPG.

:man_facepalming:t2: Sorry. I didn’t realize I had selected png.

BTW, the save for web plugin does give the option of png-8 or png-24 which I will pick sometimes based on my needs.

The other great thing is that it lets you choose the size. Frequently I will have a much larger size for the production work than for my final product. So for me, the save for web does provide options that I need for my workflow. Unless I’m missing something.

I do hope that the save for web plugin continues to work in the new version.

Thanks!

The plain PNG export dialog will do PNG8 if the image is color-indexed.

Given than the SfW last updates where for Gimp 2.7, I wouldn’t hold my breath. Working with high-precision images could require some significant rework.

1 Like

On Linux it’s in the repos, for Windows I don’t know where to find it. I believe it’s a quiet old package, that may explain those dead links…

1 Like

Ah, thanks!

The GPR package is a hodgepodge of plugins and scripts of dubious value. If you can install the good ones separately its all the better.

1 Like

Am I correct in understanding that there is no single repository of gimp plugins like there might be for other software?

Much more possibilities (from Save for Web) are offered by RIOT (only for Windows):
https://riot-optimizer.com/
You can also download (tested for Gimp-2.10.32 Win_64bit) from here:

1 Like

There used to be one (called, surprise, the “Gimp Scripts Registry”) , but it was spammed to death. And in any case there was no obligation to put your stuff there.

1 Like