How to add Audio

I m new in natron, Is there a solid tutorials how to add audio in natron? is there any step by step guide? I am windows user

will natron will have discord channel too, for easy and updated on natron progress?

Here is Natron’s discord link to register at https://discordapp.com/invite/xWAQzPF. There is no audio for Natronat the moment.

i think we should postpone the 3d thing for now. audio support would be more effective property creating stunning videos. music is inspirational. and the timing is a very important video making essence. audio support is should be the first thing to develop. no need to export. just listen for timing and to feel the video emotions.

1 Like

the audio need if we work with cut of some scenes. It is very helpfull for mix two different footages for example. But Natron and Nuke is the programm for one shot
Some time ago I saw addon for Blender that helped to cutting some sequences prodused with natron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRvV2f1Gd3Y

2 Likes

cool tutorial about working with audio in Natron

1 Like

Natronizer for Blender is the name of the addon. It links Blender’s VSE and Natron.

The audio thing is indeed a very good point.
A simple audio loader node which would load an audio file and plays it in realtime would be amazing.
Future additions like waveform data extraction could be added later on.
I have no idea how hard or easy it would be to use aplay, gstreamer, ffmpeg or something similar to add audio. Just for comping FX to the beat. No need to export it within the renders…

There was a plugin that converted audio into curves but was discontinued from natron 2.0: / a pity, because I use natron to work, but a moment that needed to work with audio

AudioCurve has been forked.

Theres a topic in this forum about it.

The AudioCurve fork can be found here https://github.com/quaeched/audiocurve

1 Like

I will create a new version of AudioCurve when I get the time. The current version is a bit hackish and should be re-written as an OFX plugin.

4 Likes

@rodlie If you can please let us know. I am planning for a sound ofx as well. May be it will be easier to include portaudio libs. It has plotter algo as well. And can be used with chunk for realtime scrubbing.

Also just for my emergency production here is a simple VLC backend :

Demo:

2 Likes

@cgvirus: If you are planning something don’t let me stop you :wink:

I’m been a bit busy this week and have other plugins planned (in-the-making) before audio.

4 Likes

Alright I will let you know if some init in progress. Thanks. BTW WELCOME BACK! :smiley:

2 Likes

A bit late, but I started with the AudioCurve replacement today. Should have something usable for testing soon (I got some free time this weekend), nothing fancy, more or less the same but a OFX plugin instead of a Python script + binaries and text files.

2 Likes

AudioCurve 0.9 OFX is now available for testing, binaries for Windows and Linux are available.

5 Likes

@cgvirus: thanks for the audio tutorial.
This finally is the reason to find my back back to Natron!

(BTW. just made a render comparison from Natron to BMD Fusion9 exporting a simple animation with 300 frames. Result: Natron=8sec. Fusion=1min, 12sec…)

1 Like

Thanks a lot man! have made a demo here:

4 Likes

Been pondering a bit about JACK lately … Sync Natron playback to JACK transport · Issue #227 · NatronGitHub/Natron · GitHub

Maybe we should go that route instead (regarding playback)?

I only have experience with JACK on Linux, does it work as it should on Win/Mac? How many DAWs support JACK outside Linux? Can JACK use ASIO on Win?

1 Like

I’m also a Linux user so can’t comment on Windows or Mac. The Jack website has quite a list of software that supports Jack. From a quick glance of those I see the following are cross platform: mhwaveedit, Audacity, Mixxx, Blender, Fluxus, ProjectM, Giada, Ardour, Renoise, Bitwig Studio, SooperLooper, LMMS. There’s probably a few more but I didn’t click every link

The FAQ also suggests Jack runs on Windows https://jackaudio.org/faq/jack_on_windows.html. As for using ASIO, I don’t know what that is :stuck_out_tongue: but reading the FAQ:

It connects (OUTPUT) to those audio drivers using the PortAudio project (so Jack can connect using dsound, wmme, WDMKS, ASIO, WASAPI, and WaveRT) depending on what the soundcard’s drivers support.