How to add two watermarks on a image in darktable?

Hello all,

I like to add two images as watermark.
one on left bottom and one on the right bottom.

created two styles with different images/positions.

But, only the one style ( only one watermark ) is applied.
The previous watermark style is removed, when applied next watermark style.

Please guide on how to add two or multiple watermarks.

Thanks,
Shrini

Have you tried creating 2 instances of the module, giving them different names, and saving them to a single style (or 2 separate styles, even)? I have styles that use several instances of a module (not watermark, though), and it works well.

I created two separate styles.
Left-watermark & Right-watermark

First applying left. It creates watermark on the left bottom.

Then, applying Right.
It creates the watermark on right bottom.
But removes the left side watermark.

Right, you have two styles. But do the module instances have their own, separate names in the styles? E.g. call one module instance left watermark, the other right watermark. Otherwise, darktable has no way to differentiate them, and one will overwrite the other.

1 Like

module instances is the new term I am learning here.

Please share some document or link on what is that and how to use it with style.
Seems it will help me to fix the issue.

Thanks.

https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/darkroom/processing-modules/multiple-instances/

For example, one of my styles has 2 instances of diffuse and sharpen:

I can apply that to an image:

There is also a setting in LT view. There you select the mode of either append or replace. The setting there is what is used when applying styles in DR view while editing so just be sure that is set as needed for your workflow

I don’t think that helps. Unless I’m mistaken, appending settings, if the module name is the same, will add a new history entry that takes precedence over the existing one. You can still move back on the history stack, but either the old or the new one will be effective. It is like modifying the settings of a module manually.

Like this

Some example styles with top (left+right), left (top+bottom) and all watermarks:
top watermarks.dtstyle (1.2 KB)
left watermarks.dtstyle (1.2 KB)
all watermarks.dtstyle (2.2 KB)

I can then apply “left watermarks” to get:

Or “top watermarks” and “left watermarks” to get:

Notice how “top left” appears twice in the history stack (marked with red dots). Once it was applied my “top watermarks”, which added “top left” and “top right”, and once by “left watermarks”, which added “top left” and “bottom left”. Interestingly, first applying “left watermarks”, then “top watermarks” first added “bottom left” just fine, but then overwrote it:

1 Like

I should have been clear that I was just talking in general about being careful with styles but I also think there was a time that renamed instances were not recognized and so in that case it might be an issue for some in that window even if they rename them… but I think that was short lived if I recall…

The append vs replace is not an issue if you put both instances in the same style but it could be…if you were sequentially applying them as styles …then in that case the whole stack is replaced is it not and so you would just be replacing one with the other over and over… maybe I need to go back and check…

Edit:

So I made two quick watermark images and put one each in a style. The instances are named differently…

It is funny the thumbnail generated when you hover to add the second one in append mode show both applied to the image but actually selecting the style replaces it…

The two are a quick sky and the standard dt default one…

Edit 2… So it will append but it’s not using the instance name. I made Style one with a watermark module gave it a name and saved it. Then I cleared the stack and made the second one and gave it a different name and saved a second style. But this is still created as the first and single instance in the style each time… So when you apply them sequentially they overwrite each other as I guess it goes by the instance of the module and not the name… at least that is what I am seeing. I thought it tracked the name… Ironically if my image has two instances of watermark and they can be named whatever and either active or inactive then adding the styles one after the other DT will append one to other so in that case its not tracking instance or it can only append if more than one instance is already present in the image… I will do this again to confirm… I’m not 100% sure that would as intended but maybe it is…

Edit 3

Looks like the best way is to combine them as you need together in a style rather than have a collection of single ones and trying to add them as needed… ie the way you demonstrate

1 Like

Thanks for the replies.

Will explore and practise the mentioned ideas.

Happy to see that multiple watermarks is doable with darktable.

Issue #15806 has been opened to track the order-dependency problem.