How to add wipe luma for custom video size in kdenlive

I know this is not a kdenlive forum, but there are so many experienced people here that it might make sense to post my question here.

I am trying to work around the nasty bug described here: 423619 – Custom-made Project Profile Video Settings break Wipe Methods. The problem is that the different wipe templates (called lumas, b/w images in pgm format) are only used for some project resolutions. The resolution I require is 854x480 (don’t ask, I got the material in that resolution, but at least it’s 16:9), and all the wipe transition options vanish for that resolution. I was not able to figure out after which rule the lumas are selected. When I spread my custom pgm with the required resolution in my local lumas folder as shown below, I see the cloud2 transition for other resolutions, but not for the one required.

~/.local/share/kdenlive/lumas
├── cloud2.pgm
├── HD
│   └── cloud2.pgm
└── PAL
    └── cloud2.pgm

Any hint how kdenlive selects the lumas and how I could fix my issue are very welcome, unfortunately I even cannot figure out where in the code the selection is performed.

kdenlive 20.04.1b appimage in case this is relevant, as newer versions do not output preview video on my rusty 16.04-ubuntu.

I dunno but that size video is FWVGA or 480p.

Yes, and it’s not so common these days I think :wink:, and probably never was, aside from lower quality youtube streams. However, I was not able to test, but recent kdenlive versions mention improvements regarding the wipe transitions, which may or may not help here. As there was some time pressure, I worked around this issue by using a 1280 times 720 profile for cutting. This gave me an unnecessarily increased size of the intermediate output of kdenlive which then was again scaled down, re-encoded for native browser video (in firefox, I know that I miss apple users by my choice of webm/vp8/vorbis, but they can download and watch via vlc) and compressed to a reasonable size by ffmpeg. Probably there’s also a bit additional quality loss by up- and downscaling, but as there was no other solution this was the only option.