How to apply the crop?

I’ve cropped an image but I can’t figure out how apply that crop. If I send it to the queue it shows the cropped area as a black border. I want the image to show as I cropped it. I must be missing something as that should be pretty basic.

I watched a rather old video about cropping which ended up not answering that question. Folks were asking how to apply it in the comments and his answer was you don’t apply the crop. It’s applied when it’s processed? I don’t understand that.

edit: In another video it’s explained that because it’s a raw file the image isn’t cropped until it’s exported. I guess I get that but it sure is different than other software packages.

https://rawpedia.rawtherapee.com/Crop

Just right-click.

Yes, thanks, I read that but it didn’t talk about how to apply the crop like you would in other editors. Of course it didn’t talk about that because you don’t apply it until it’s exported.

Coming from Affinity, DxO, Lightroom, etc I was looking for the “apply” button.

then:

or shortcut key " f "

Hi, I’m also trying to figure out how to apply the crop and the f shortcut doesn’t do the whole thing. The cropped areas on the sides remain as well as the grid which remains visible.
I’d like to see this disappear so that I can work only on the cropped image.
Is this possible (as it is in ART)?

This is more a mindset issue than anything else.

No raw developer “crops” your image (Edit: They don’t “crop” the raw file). Some just choose to show what the crop will look like when the image is finalized and only that, whereas others, like RawTherapee, keep the image in a sort-of “reminder” mode, showing you that you have a crop active.

RawTherapee only does this when its default background color is used.

So, to make RawTherapee do the former, you need to use one of the non-default background colors: black, 50% gray, or white ( a set of buttons on the toolbar). But even then, clicking on the image, for example to move it about, will again show you the crop while the button is pressed.

So, yes, RawTherapee is doing exactly like all the others, it’s just displaying things using another mindset.

As to the overlays, you can chose to have none shown in the crop tool’s module.

1 Like

Hello.
This comment is superfluous, as we already know.
All you had to say was that it’s not possible using the interface.
It’s not a figment of the imagination. It is always preferable to work on an image without polluting it with unnecessary elements that disturb the vision.
Too bad, so I’m going to go for a tool that matches my ‘mindset’.
Discussion closed for me.
Have a nice day.

Rawtherapee 5.10 behaves correctly (if I understand what you mean)

As kindly described by KLE-France in their “superfluous” comment:

Because you have set black bg color.

1 Like

@laurentia’s style will be sadly missed from this discussion :joy:

Sounds like he needs a tool that shows each adjustment applied immediately on top of the last. Like FastStone Viewer or even the GIMP.

More professional tools like RawTherapee do not let one change the processing order of one’s adjustments and there is a very good reason for that.

Hi @laurentia,

I’m just replying because I see you missed the solution in @KLE-France’s comment and the subsequent comments don’t directly answer your question.

To clear any misunderstanding, @KLE-France did not say or imply that it’s impossible. In fact, the solution is:

Here’s a screenshot showing where those buttons are. The grey background is selected here, and as you can see, the cropped parts of the image are not visible.

Thanks to all for stepping in in my absence.

I should have led with the how-to part! :thinking: