How to bring out the colors in IR photo

How do the raws look? Below you see what I get with an R72.

Original

R72
Bildschirmfoto von 2020-12-13 14-25-37

darktable, white point on grass, inverted lab tone curves

It’s a beautiful sunny day outside, perfect for testing. When I finish here, I’ll walk around and capture some scenes that might look interesting in IR.

About your photos - the top photo looks like it is all out of focus? Not sure why.
The next photo looks similar to what my images look like, with no correction.
The bottom photo shows the trees with no color - maybe that’s what an R-72 filter does?

You wrote “white point on grass, inverted lab tone curves”. I would love to see what that photo looks like with the cloud being used for white balance. Maybe color would then show up in the trees? The grass might change to yellow, or something similar.

Not sure how I can “invert lab tone curves”? When you get time, can you please explain how this is done?

What I’ve been doing is the “channel mixing”, then setting the white balance, and then adding some contrast, etc., as I would normally do. Maybe that’s the same as inverting the lab tone curves?

Which of these filters and conditions (if any) replicate what you have done?

I just took a series of shots to demonstrate the color effect. So, please don’t care about the focus.

With an IR filter you basically lose all normal color information and get Just a monochrome IR image. Most filters will allow some shorter wavelengths to pass. You can use these to get a blue sky, when you invert the the color curves.

If you do not set the whitepoint to the red areas, everything will appear more reddish.

There are different ways to achieve this. I am experimenting at the moment with the new channel mixer. My old way was to use the legacy tone curve module and set it to “lab, independent channels” Then invert both Lab color curves.

For me, using Raw Therapee, and the eyedropper clicking on something I know is white (and doing this as the final step) got the results posted above. All the red mist was gone.

Hopefully I’ll have better photos to post later today.

In IR photography “white” has no meaning. You can use any color effect you want, although monochrome would be more straightforward.

To allow people to edit the photos any posted images in the play raw section of this site need to have a licence that enables redistribution. There are various version like non-commercial etc… but it is worth noting that you probably don’t want to give out your best photo for free distribution round the interwebs.

I ingest my photos from my camera card to my iMac using Photo Mechanic. Can you please suggest the specific wording that needs to go into “testing images” which would satisfy this requirement?

I do understand what you mean, and what I will need to do - for images being posted to the “raw section” of this site, I need to add something that allows people to manipulate and redistribute my image(s).

The purpose in posting the image, and allowing others to work with it, is so I can learn how to do it better myself, and I assume some people would want to show me.

Bottom line, what specific field(s) in the EXIF data / Metadata need to be modified, and what is the desired wording?

If this is like an R25 filter, you’re still going to get a lot of visible light through it.

If you can see though the filter, it is probably letting in a lot of the visible spectrum.

When I used to shoot Kodak infrared film, I captured images sort of like these. That’s what I would like to do again, but with digital:

https://www.google.com/search?q=kodak+ektachrome+film+example+images&safe=active&client=safari&rls=en&sxsrf=ALeKk01dQytvJGDAGArdkbYopCnURgpuNQ:1607885406736&tbm=isch&source=iu&ictx=1&fir=m6mdPGaFFQd0FM%252CG40the7Ef5ymUM%252C_&vet=1&usg=AI4_-kRf_BaVPRFlYmgbaYtstIi-bQuhog&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwie34f0z8vtAhURo1kKHSe-B6sQ9QF6BAgNEAE#imgrc=m6mdPGaFFQd0FM

There were many different film types that were sensitive to IR and visible light. In digital photography you would have to mimic that with filters. However, digital cameres have an inbuild IR filter that make this difficult.

Information on Kodak IR here.

Nothing that complex, photo goes in first the license below. About the Play Raw category details what you are getting into and Licenses List | Creative Commons has all the licences. Realistically EXIF data can be stripped from RAW and every method of copyright protection can be circumvented by a screen shot.

I assume this is what I need to fill out properly in the box “Rights Usage Terms”. What is the acceptable wording that satisfies these requirements?

I am using a Leica M8.2 which does not have this filter. I just need to use an appropriate “red” filter in front of the lens, restricting the light to infrared, maybe with a little visible light as well.

Then you can experiment with different IR filters to get the desired effect. The R72 might be to strongly cutting out the visible spectrum.

\Best is to get a set of IR filters. I bought some cheap ones and they work fine. The higher the pass through the less colors you can recover.

590nm will work fine, 650nm still good, 720nm is the max you can use if you want some color. Higher will be monochrome only. You can find sample shots on the Kolari website, and you can do the same without their filters. I have those $10 ones from China.

Sounds good!!! Where can I buy them? Thanks!!!

I usually buy stuff on Taobao, you can find the same on eBay or AliExpress for similar prices, like this one:

For eBay.com you can set the item location to Asia, that will be 99% China then.

I random shot from the Sony A5000, which I converted and sold later. I think the filter was 720nm, I forgot.

After a long phone call with the people at KolariVision, I think the filter I have is similar to the 590 filter shown below:

Did you have the camera modified by kolorivisiion?

No, the Leica M8.2 doesn’t need modification - it doesn’t have an anti-IR filter.
Good for me, not so good for other people who need to add an anti-IR filter to the lens to fix it.