About the Play Raw category

Welcome to the new Play Raw category!

Play Raw is a way for people to learn post processing by editing raw files contributed by other community members!

Things to keep in mind:

• the first image in the post will be used as the thumbnail on the Play Raw index page
  • raw files must be freely licensed. Most use the Creative Commons license.
  • post your sidecar or other files emitted while you post process so that others can learn from your edit
6 Likes

I want to make use of this ‘PlayRaw’ facility but I have no idea how to license an image; I have no idea what a Creative Commons license is or where I would obtain one, or who the authorised licensee is, or who the provides that authorisation to the licensee. The way this guidance is written implies that readers already know the answers to these questions. Does this mean I don’t qualify to use PLayRaw because I lack sufficient knowledge?

Licensing a photo is (sort of) a personal statement by the originator of this photo, allowing everybody to …

download
distribute
change / edit

… and re-distribute

their derived and/or edited version. This is mandatory for you as the originator and thus copyright holder of a photo. You are the only one who can allow others to do this.

OTOH, this platform will of course not be held responsible for any unauthorized use and distribution of other’s own work - like a photo you made.

Basically: Allow everybody to use, change and re-distribute your own work.

The proposed Creative Common License was thoughtful developed by capable people in their common sense. It details what I told in short. Because “everybody” knows it and it is freely available for use, your statement can thus be as simple as saying:

“Everybody may use my photo under the conditions detailed in the CCL …”

Important side note: I strongly recommend only to CCL license and upload photos when you are the originator and when persons and/or property holders of non-public locations give you written confirmation that they know and agree with your intention to distribute your own work.

Final note: Though I am a professional photo journalist and photo artist writing this to my best knowledge, please take this only as my personal hint. I am not responsible for what anyone does with this information. Check it for yourself and only use this at your own risk.

With some embarrassment, it has become clear to me that I don’t actually understand how the responses by others to an image I submit to Play Raw can be used. I’m particularly referring to the .xm[ files which are supplied by those editing my submissions. My latest submission to PLay Raw has had some exceptionally useful responses, as a result of which I have been doing some very contorted playing around to attempt to make use of multiple .xmps, as well as retain my ‘original’.

Is there a recommended way of making use of multiple .xmps against one image that caters for the fact that an ‘updated’ xmp does not always seem to be used by dt, if it’s time-stamp is not newer than that of the xmp already in use?

For darktable, make a duplicate using the duplicates manager, then import the xmp file. Rinse and repeat for however many xmps you need to load.

1 Like

Depending on what is meant by ‘import the xmp file’, I think what you recommend is what I have been doing - where import actually means edit/rename the sidecar from Play Raw (to reflect the number of the duplicate) and then copy this renamed xmp alongside the ABC.RW2.xmp of the original. This is what I described as “some very contorted playing around”. But this was the correct process - yes ?

I mean in the History Stack module in the Lighttable, press the “Load sidecar file” button, then select the xmp you want to load.

I might just be catching up with your thinking here such that I might convince my self that renaming an xmp sidecar file is not necessary. Still plotting it on paper. More later.

Edit: OK, finally caught up. Your process is much simpler and engineers errors out. Thanks for making me think about it more, and thanks for your patience.

1 Like