How to build the manual

Hi developers,
first of all i want to thank you for this fantastic peace of software. Using darktable for the last two years i can say : the progress made by version 3.0 is amazing. Also the videos of Aurelien Pierre are great support. I’m physicist and hobby photographer and i appreciate the theoretical background. Understanding what is happening behind the scenes is essential to optimal use the software.
I build the program from source, following the build instructions for Ubuntu 18.04 (https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/wiki/Build-instructions-for-Ubuntu-18.04) and everything worked as expected. But how can i build the manual (english version, pdf format) ? The current build instructions do not tell anything about the manual and the command make darktable-usermanual from the old instructions on https://redmine.darktable.org/projects/darktable/wiki/Building_darktable_22 do not work anymore. What am I missing ?

Works for me on Debian 10 as written in the general build instructions:

./build.sh
cd build
make darktable-usermanual

The PDF manual can be found then in /build/doc/usermanual.

But you need to install the additional dependencies for the manual beforehand. On the Debian it still works with following packages

apt install default-jdk gnome-doc-utils libsaxon-java fop imagemagick docbook-xml docbook-xsl

After the installation of the dependices do not forget to run

./build.sh

before

cd build

1 Like

If you didn’t have the dependencies installed when you generated your Makefile, you may need to regenerate it so the usermanual targets appear in the Makefile.

Hmm, that’s exactly what i have done. BTW, tried to do the process from scratch again. Checked all the dependencies : default-jdk gnome-doc-utils libsaxon-java fop imagemagick docbook-xml docbook-xsl are installed. Then

DT_VER=3.0.0
perl -e “use LWP::Simple; getstore(
https://github.com/darktable-org/darktable/releases/download/release-$DT_VER/darktable-$DT_VER.tar.xz’,
‘$HOME/downloads/archives/darktable-$DT_VER.tar.xz’);”
cd ~/downloads/archives
tar xvf darktable-$DT_VER.tar.xz
cd darktable-$DT_VER
./build.sh
cd build
make: *** Keine Regel, um „darktable-usermanual“ zu erstellen. Schluss.

build-script finished without errors (like yesterday where installation of the program was successful). I have no idea what to do at this point.

Ah, same here. This tarball doesn’t contain the usermanual I guess. Just use the latest git version and you are fine.

Maybe first do “cd build; make clean; cd …; rm -rf build” to start with a clean slate, then run the build.sh script.

OK, thank you very much. I just had the same assumption and cloned the git archive. Building the program was successfull and the manual could be created.

1 Like

Matt I see that there are lots of new additions to the manual…I want to build it…but only in english…everytime I try it builds in all languages???

It’s because you have po4a translation package installed, and so when you generate the build directory, cmake will detect this and generate the build scripts to build all languages. If you just want to build the usermanual in english, then you can:

cd build
xdg-open doc/usermanual/darktable-usermanual.pdf

(the last command opens the resulting PDF on Linux using your default PDF viewer)

1 Like

Thanks I had found this file DTORG.LINGUAS and had thought editing that or changing the command as noted in the documentation to -en might have been options…but yours is clearly more straight forward.

1 Like