How to calibrate display in Ubuntu 20.10

Ubuntu 20.10 deprecated python 2, and without that DisplayCAL does not run. Python2 can still be installed of course, but Ubuntu does not provide packages for python-wxgtk any longer, and wxpython itself does not provide easy-to-install wheels for versions older than 4.0, without which DisplayCAL can’t run.

Is there another way of calibrating a screen without DisplayCAL? Can I run DisplayCAL on, say, Windows, and use the resulting color profile on Linux?

You can use a USB bootable distro (even an older distrp version that has py2), boot into it, run display cal, save the ICC profile, then use that profile in your current installation.

5 Likes

Good idea! Thank you.

Hi Bastian,
I for do not recompile displayCal every time something changes I learned to calibrate with ArgyllCMS :+1:
CLI commands will not never die :smiley:

1 Like

NO! Display drivers are not the same.
In theory, you have to recalibrate when display driver changes in Linux too

1 Like

I didn’t know you could calibrate with Argyll alone! Thank you for the hint!

I’ll look into that. (And I would be grateful for guidance unless it’s obvious anyway)

displayCAL uses ArgyllCMS, It’s a GUI for ArgyllCMS http://www.argyllcms.com/doc/Scenarios.html

1 Like

It is possible to run Displaycal form source on Ubuntu 20.04, I think Python version does not matter als long as it’s higher than 2.

The dispcal CLI worked beautifully. Actually easier to use than the DisplayCAL GUI, once you know what to do.

For future reference, this will calibrate screen X:

dispcal -d X -v -o profile-filename

(Run dispcal without arguments to get a list of available X)

Then adjust white point (2) using your screen’s controls, adjust brightness (4), then check all (5) and calibrate (7). Takes half an hour, produces a color profile icc file you can load in Gnome’s color settings.

7 Likes

thanks a lot! Its still working to you good?

I am getting strange colors after calibrating… only warning I get is

“dispcal: Warning - new_dispwin: Expected VideoLUT depth 8 doesn’t match actual 10”

Displaycal is now available as a flatpak, which should make it easier to install on Ubuntu 20.10 and other distros which have depreciated Python 2.7.

wow thanks!!! thats great news :wink:

I think that just means that you have a 10-bit-screen and don’t use 10 bit.

Yes I understood that but I have never set the depth of color… any insight on how can I change that? thanks.

There is no point in setting 10 bit. Only Krita and Photoshop support it.

thanks a lot for the information :smiley: