How to create a diptych - setting two images side by side?

I need to create a new image by combining two images by way of setting them aside each other in one image file – a diptych.
Is this possible in darktable?
If not, do you happen to know if it’s possible in Gimp or any other open source running on Linux (Mint)?

Hi @EspE1,
It is dead easy in The Gimp…

• Open the two images as layers.
  • Set canvas width to the sum of the image widths.
  • Drag each layer into wanted position.
  • Ready.

Or have I misunderstood your wishes?

Have fun!
Claes in Lund, Sweden

1 Like

Thank you, Claes, It sounds like you have understood my question perfectly.

(-- so now I just have to learn how to use layers in Gimp (which I have never used before9 in 30 minutes. A. Roll up the sleaves. B. Get the manual … )

The pressing problem is: How do I change the cursor from a drawing tool to a ordinary cursor I can drag with??

Type M as in move tool.

If you need to do the job often, you might consider ImageMagick, eg:

magick in1.tiff in2.tiff +append out.tiff

For IM v6, use “convert” instead of “magick”.

3 Likes

Thanks for that.

I’m using Gimp on a regular basis (not the way that is described above though, I don’t use layers) to glue images together, which works but is kinda cumbersome. Wasn’t aware of this one and am going to use this from now on.

Just read parts of the man-page: Neat!

Very much appreciated.

1 Like

This somehow illustrates the issue of “intuitiveness”.

I eventually found the move tool that had all the time been staring me in the face from among the many drawing tools. However in all the graphical software I have any experience with, (not that very many), changing the cursor from an ordinary point/click/drag function and to some kind of other tool, has been one concept – and then thereafter choosing between the various drawing tools has been quite another function/concept.

So I sat there looking in vain for somewhere to click to get out of the “tool mode” to revert to “cursor mode”.

Which for me illustrates once more that intuitiveness mostly means “the things you are more or less used to”.

Thanks again for your help. I have noted down in detail all the steps for how to do this so that have my tools ready the next time I need to do this in 3 months time.

But I guess that this thread probably also then confirms my initial guess/question that darktable is not a tool for joining two images to a diptych.

Correct.

Press /, type gm and select G’MIC-Qt…

Choose the Montage filter and set input layers to all.