How to disable face recognition in Digikam

I would prefer not to use the face recognition module, but every time I start digikam it complains that it cannot find faces engine model “shapepredictor.dat” and it then tries to download it.

Is there a better way to disable face recognition and avoid this behaviour?

Have you tried “Settings / Configure digiKam / Miscellaneous” and uncheck “Detect faces in newly added images”?

Yes - have that option unchecked. My first action was to go through the settings to find some mention of face detection.

What version dK and what system are you running it on? 7.6.0 on Win10 doesn’t show this behavior at all.

Same on Linux, no issues like that at all.

I´ḿ actually running 7.6 from an appimage on a Mint Linux system. Here are the error messages at startup:

Digikam::OpenfacePreprocessor::loadModels: Cannot found faces engine model “shapepredictor.dat”
Digikam::OpenfacePreprocessor::loadModels: Faces recognition feature cannot be used!
Digikam::DNNFaceExtractor::loadModels: Cannot found faces engine DNN model “openface_nn4.small2.v1.t7”
Digikam::DNNFaceExtractor::loadModels: Faces recognition feature cannot be used!

It’s been awhile since I’ve used a Linux distro to any extent, but my guess would be something is wrong with the appimage itself. A dependency problem, perhaps? What is the source of that appimage itself? If I’m troubleshooting this problem, that’s where I might start.

Any particular reason you want to disable it completely?

If you have automatic scanning turned off, it shouldn’t do anything unless you specifically tell it to.

digiKam needs binary data models for face detection. Due to the size, they are not part of the source packages. A file downloader tries to download these files after the start of digiKam. The lack of face data models can currently lead to crashes if the corresponding face detection/recognition is executed. Since not all users need or reject these functions, we have this bugreport:

https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=438317

In the Alpha digiKam-8.0.0 it is already possible to remove the file download dialog and later start manually in the settings. The next step will be if the face data models are not available to hide or deactivate corresponding functions in digiKam.

3 Likes

Thanks for making this possible.
There are so many things dk can do, and that’s great.
Still I still want to decide which feature I use and which not.

For what it’s worth, I am currently running digiKam 7.3 on Windows 7 and I get the window wanting to download a bunch of facial recognition stuff every time I start the program.

It also filled my People tag tree with a bunch of obnoxious smiley faces and several pre-ordained tags that I cannot get rid of.

I have been slowly working toward moving all of my People tags to a newly created tag heading " __People "

This accomplished one very welcome attribute = it moved __People to the very top of the tag tree.

Hopefully, once I get all of my People tags relocated to my new __People heading, all of those unwanted features will remain in the People heading.

Hopefully, then, it will let me rename People to zzzPeople and bury that mess at the bottom of the stack.

It would be nice if there were a switch that would allow one to completely opt out of the behavior.