How to disable pink on blown highlights in images?

I just checked this setting and mine is already set to “never”, yet I get the pink in the Lighttable thumbnails… anyone have any other suggestions? Most of the tips I got here are for Darkroom, if I understand it correctly, but I have 1500+ images just from this trip and I can’t tweak them all just to get rid of the pink on the thumbnails. :sweat_smile:

I found that too - it seems rather like those files don’t have the usual embedded preview. One option to get un-pink thumbnails would be to create a style containing the correctly set highlight reconstruction module plus as many other modules as you might want to be always applied, then when you import a batch of images, you select the batch (ctrl+A) in lighttable and apply the style… not sure if this is the ideal workflow but it could work quite well.

What version of dt are you running Terry? I’m on a recent weekly build 4.3+ 1435 and I seemed to get no embedded preview… will recheck.

Yep, in this screenshot the righthand version is a duplicate with the history discarded, yet it has the pink highlights:

1 Like

Seems like we are flogging a dead horse here… I would shoot 4 or 5 widely spaced iso and check the Raw WP… Darktable needs something around 15500 it looks like and as long as this doesn’t change with iso then and auto preset should work should it???

If I use LCH or clip in DT it pretty much what you see in a few other cases…

I don’t have LR but in on1 photo when you load with a linear profile there are traces as well…Adding the tone curve or bumping whites in that software clips it away…

Not to derail the thread, but I agree and for this lens especially the fringing is extremely bad and I’m just on day two of using Darktable and already have more examples where Defringe helped reduce the purple even more than just Chromatic Abberation alone:

Why will Defringe be removed, when it seems that, for example, with Filmic there’s older options to switch to if you want (and Darktable itself seems to be all about options)?

Freundian slip about the evils of overexposure? :rofl: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Why don’t you create a hlr preset using opposed with a clip of o.95 special for your camera and use that from now on.

For now copy &paste of history just for that module is your friend, you can select all images from your camera. 30 seconds maybe:-)

1 Like

I use RT rather than DT, but I once had a similar issue with an image that resulted from the method of highlight reconstruction I’d set (possibly Colour Propergation?); when I changed this to Luminance Recovery, it resolved the issue.

1 Like

Also check out this video by the module creator to get the most out of it… for example he suggests to go to lens correction and tweak that for CA first and then use the CA module… there are some tactics and tweaks to get the best results…

I am using 4.2 on a linux desktop. I will try and check this on 4.3 when I return to work next week. I wonder if this is a bug in 4.3?

I just opened this image on my windows computer with DT4.3+1661 loaded. In lighttable pink highlights are shown in the preview thumbnail. This is despite having preferences set to show embedded JPG. Should we report this as a bug?

This can mean that the embedded preview is missing or of poor quality or size and so the raw is used this happens in many cases

EDIT…actually the preview is a good quality… but its a TIF I wonder if that is why DT uses the raw as it can’t find a jpg??

L1082846.tif (8.7 MB)

Your files use a tif preview which is quite decent but may not be recognized by DT as the embedded preview… If the preview is processing the raw you could try to create an auto preset for these images that uses LCH HLR. THis seems to work well on your images but I would have to test the whole process …after doing so you could go to an image and discard the history stack…it would need a new default one… if this hack works the magenta should go away…

Edit…

This works I just tried so if you create an auto preset on LCH for this your magenta goes away at least on the 3 images I tried you can try it on some of yours… You could also do inpaint with a lower threshold if you find that say 95 percent or something works but LCH seems okay. I still feel like there could be a raw white point correction that will be introduced at some point as the current one seems high…

1 Like

Interestingly, the preview I get on my Linux Mint machine with the 4.2 flatpack loaded doesn’t show the pink.

What is the HLR aligo and what is the raw white point… if its clip or LCH then you won’t see the issue… On my master I can set the thumbs to never use the raw and never do high quality and I still see it… I even removed the images and restarted and tried to reimport… only changing the default HLR made a difference for me…

Hi Todd,
I just took a look on my linux mint desktop DT V4.21. With the history reset on the image the white point is 16383 and HLR is inpaint opposed threshold 1.000. In the lighttable view the highlights look clean, but in the darkroom they look pink. I don’t experience this issue with any others images except the one supplied by the origimal post to this thread. It is not a big issue to me, but it makes me wonder if some sort of bug exists in V4.3. I wonder if someone running V4.2.1 can reproduce the pink highlights in the lighttable view.

I have learnt to like seeing the JPG preview in lighttable and sometimes do a screen grab of it to use as a reference point when processing the raw.

So the thing is these images have a tiff preview…so not a jpg. So I think this is the first reason why a processed thumb is used despite the setting of never, and I have a display profile that lets me set relative rendering…if you do that the pink is gone…makes me wonder if different display profile is making the difference in some cases… with perceptual you see the pink…

Quite frankly I don’t know if you used the same display profile in WIndows vs Linux would it give the same results… if its set to let DT handle it maybe… I don’t know enough… I don’t think at this point there is a bug I think if there is a way to confirm with the same display icc on the same machine running the two OS then that might indicate a bug if they can be expected to be the same but are not… but as I said I don’t know Linux well enough to say…

Yeah, the display profile tone curve may push all the white-balanced saturation spikes into oblivion…

@ggbutcher how do I check this. I am intriqued that I do not have the issue on my computer in lighttable view but everyone else is reporting pink highlights. Certainly in the darkroom view I have pink highlights.

1 Like

I’ll dig up the link but you can use an icc from the icc consortium… They have the rendering intents. You can use the same icc on windows and mint as your display profile in DT by copying them to your out folder… THis would not be a running condition but the monitor should still look fairly good in each case… THen you would be able to try perceptual vs relative and try both in both OS and see how the system behaves… there may be a better way… actually these are free to download so you can just try either of these…

sRGB_ICC_v4_Appearance.icc (62.4 KB)
sRGB_v4_ICC_preference_displayclass.icc (59.6 KB)