How to do retro look?

How to do it? I know there are retro presets available to download but l want to be able to adjust things to suit my taste

That depends on what you mean by “retro look”. Can you share some examples?

(Daniel Catalina) #3

One thing I do is take the presets and play with them. This way you learn what various modules do and get a feeling about when to use them.

(Mica) #4

Retro is often lifted shadows. In the Tone Curve module, grab the lower left-hand point and move it up. Satutare colors to taste.

The 60’s look which could be achieved split-toning I guess but there is obviously more

Links to two styles collections are provided on dt resources page. Some “retro”, “washed out”, “sixties” etc. styles are available, using different sets of modules.

(Aurélien Pierre) #8

Retro look doesn’t exist. You have:

• platinotype, kalotype, daguerreotype, cyanotype looks,
  • wet plate/collodion look,
  • sepia and other color-shifted looks
  • Lumière’s autochrome look,
  • lots of B&W looks from film stocks,
  • Polaroid look,
  • Technicolor look,
  • Holga look,
  • “cheap color film from your family albums” look (Kodak Ultra/Ultramax, Gold, Fuji Superia, Sensia)
  • faded old print look

Some are faded, some are super vivid, some are soft, some are grainy, some are high-contrast, some are color-accurate. Kodak color films have a green cast in low-lights, Fuji ones have a magenta one, Cinestill and Lomography have intersting pastels… I mean, there are basically 170 years of retro looks…

The problem with retro is that it keeps on coming back in one form or another. What is retro to you may be new to me. :stuck_out_tongue:

And that is why we need visual examples, @twowires, not just words.