How to edit your photo using different modules

Great question Chris. To be quite honest, I “forgot” to do it with the other pictures. You can always remove those in GIMP. Didn’t want to extend the tutorial longer than necessary. It was for demonstration purposes only.

About the retouch module: That was for demonstration purposes too, just to show you how to use it. For a more “thorough” tutorial I show you guys the video in the top right corner. In that video I’m using all “scales” to remove acne from the girl’s face.

Hopefully these answers are satisfactory. If you have more questions, just let me know :)!

Of course, thank you :smile:. But I’m in the mood to discuss a bit beyond this … :wink:

Regarding the general question on retouching a panoramic image, I wonder if it would be in general a better workflow to do this after stitching by bringing the generated tiff file back into darktable. I have the impression (and think this was already discussed on pixls.us, if not several times) that there is a best practice of which edits to do before and which after stitching. Besides necessities such as demosaicing, corrections (e.g. lens distortion, vignette) may go before stitching, final colour grading and retouching/dodge-burn/etc. would go after. What I am not sure is where exactly make the cut best, e.g., does filmic/base curve go before or after, and why? And how to set white balance to give hugin the best basis to find the best control points?

I have seen in the comments to your video that I am not the only one with this question, maybe you could answer there as well, on the other hand, @hpbirkeland was the one asking there, he could get the information here as well :wink:.

Regarding the scales, I was just thinking from a beginners (and maybe I am doing it wrong as I am not a beginner, but on the other hand, aren’t we all beginners somehow as there is so much to learn …) perspective and thought this may be confusing.

Like I said, I forgot to retouch the others. I noticed it but then thought: “meh nevermind” :sweat_smile::+1:.

There are many ways to edit panoramas. I’m not saying my way is “the” way but it certainly is “a” way.
Sure, you can create a panorama first and then edit it, or you could just stitch it, and then work on it in GIMP. Because sometimes the stitch didn’t happen as good as it should, so you can then use the clone stamp tool to make it less obvious.

Another way is to edit all 4 seperately, import them as new layers in GIMP (one by one) and then use the panorama tool in GIMP itself (Pandora plugin)

In general my workflow is:
Edit the RAW in darktable till I’m satisfied
Move to GIMP to photoshop it (retouching in darktable though)

I would like to add a recommendation:
There is a nice LUA script that integrates HUGIN and darktable to create panoramas by exporting to HUGIN.

The Contributed Script called Hugin does it for you.

1 Like

I’ll have a look!!

BTW guys, a new video is now up. It’s about night photography and I’m giving away two free presets!

2 Likes

Skies, it can make or break your image!

1 Like

Hey guys,

It’s been a while since I’ve made a darktable tutorial, but here’s my quick overview on darktable 3.0!

Greets,

Rico

Great teaser video, but isn’t this a bit early? The release is still 42 days ahead, and in your video you do not mention that this is a release candidate full of bugs. It is good to have a lot of people testing the rc0, but they should know that undesired things might happen and at least backup database and xmps before installing it.

Feel free to leave that as a comment! Great addition!

As I do not have a google account, I cannot add a comment. Therefore I write my comments here.

Hello my friends,

You get a LUT, You get a LUT, You get a LUT EVERYBODY is getting a LUT!

Here’s another darktable video in which I show you guys how to get 9 free LUTs and how to apply them in darktable!

3 Likes

Thank you, very good resource for high quality LUTs. Tried them on some of my photos and many give great results.
“Portrait 9” is one of my favourite. Applied it on a play RAW

Original:

With “Portrait 9”:

1 Like

That looks Amazing!

While choosing to be a professional color grading artist might not be the first thing you think of while being color blind, it’s not impossible! In this video, I show you how.

Hey guys,

Almost 100 posts! Here’s a photo of Geneva Switzerland which has been edited in darktable 3.0rc2!

My friends!

It’s been a while, but here’s a new tutorial on dodging and burning in darktable 3.0!

1 Like
2 Likes

Hey guys,

It’s time for a community edit!

1 Like

A tutorial of 3 mins including 5 tips!

2 Likes

Darktable 3.0.1. and what’s new!!

3 Likes