How to export V-log TIFFs from Panasonic RW2 files?

So I shot a bunch of stills on Panasonic S1H in RAW+JPEG, with V-Log selected. So the JPEGS are are flat and I used them for grading in Davinci Resolve as dailies. Now I need to apply same grade to a higher-quality files, so I need to export TIFFs from the RW2 files that will look like the JPEGs.

I have only found one app so far – Silkypix, that has a V-log preset, but the issue is that whatever it exports is different from the JPEGs. It’s close, but different enough to yield a completely different result when I apply same grading that I have on JPEGs.

I have around 100 files I need to process ASAP, is ther eanything I can do to match the output from RW2 to the JPEGs straight from camera?

Wild guess, but the JPEG may have both the V-log curve and the sRGB TRC applied. The sRGB TRC might be missing from the TIFF export.

Can you post a JPEG and TIFF for comparison? And, welcome to the forum!

Thank you!

JPEG is here Dropbox - P1015014.JPG - Simplify your life

TIFF (140Mb warning) is here Dropbox - P1015014.tif - Simplify your life

The TIFF contains an embedded profile that purports to be sRGB, the JPEG declares the image is sRGB with the ColorSpace tag. So, I turn off color management, and the two images viewed raw on the display look to be the same tone distribution. But the interesting thing is the color difference; in the JPEG the skin tones are a bit warmer, the seesaw handle end is bluer, and the greens are more saturated. It’s as if the two renditions were processed with different camera profiles…

Do you mind posting the RW2 file for these rendtions? You can post it directly here, just drag the file to your post.

Thank you, Glenn! Yes, the colors are the real issue. Thank you for looking into this.

P1015014.RW2 (34.1 MB)

I processed the raw with my hack raw processor that uses a color matrix provided by libraw, and the colors come out looking more like the JPEG’s, but not exact. Methinks Silkypix has a crappy camera profile for your camera…

I just happen to have a Panasonic V-Log LUT; I inserted that in my toolchain and got tone and color pretty close to the JPEG. Here’s the .cube file (I had to change the filetype to .txt to get the forum to take it):

panasonic_vlog.txt (2.7 KB)

Just change the filename to panasonic_vlog.cube and you can use it with any raw processor that’ll apply CUBE LUTs.

HTH…

1 Like

Thank you, I managed to get the grade using this LUT somewhere close to the original one, the amoutn of work was the same as gettign there from the Silkypix source. I also have discovered that CameraRaw has ‘camera matching’ settings, and they do have V-Log there, but again it exports a fourth different iteration of the image, and it has issues with both tone mapping and colors.

It seems the in-camera pipeline does something interesting. I have discovered I can put the RW2 back on the SD card and go into ‘RAW development’ in menu, which will allow me to play with export settings, but most of them are grayed out and I can pretty much just re-export the same JPEG, with same nice and juicy colors.

Wish panasonic made that possible to reproduce on a PC. I appreciate your help Glenn! I think I will dig a bit more to try and find the magic workflow to get me as close to the in-camera JPEG as possible.

1 Like

There was a discussion on this very subject a year or two ago. That resulted in me generating an ICC profile set which used the V-log TRC…

Ah, found the old thread:

I may rewrite that profile generator tool in Python at some point soon, but I THINK there are relevant ICC profiles attached in the other thread. You can use these profiles as output profiles in RawTherapee with the “Neutral” processing preset and that should put you pretty close to the OOC V-Log JPEGs. Otherwise I’ll try to rerun the generator and attach a V-Log+V-Gamut ICC here in a day or two.

2 Likes

… or darktable :wink:

1 Like

Yeah, or anything that supports using an arbitrary output ICC. :slight_smile:

In the case of dt - you’ll want to disable any output display transform (filmic/basecurve/sigmoid)

2 Likes