How to find out what changed between minor versions?

github doesnt have tags for all releases (last one is 2.4.2)

the "on the road to … " threads aren’t clear which changes are 2.5.0 only and which are also in 2.4.5 e.g.

could we get a small release notes post either on github or here?

1 Like

Yes, it can be confusing. Fortunately, my needs are few.

At one point, the change logs included version numbers per item.

while this one has all tags … the commit messages are quite … how should I say … non-expressive.

2 Likes

That’s indeed a point of improvement.
My secret hope is to get more time working on G’MIC in the future, so I can do it better than today, where clearly I am running out of time for almost all the things I have on my todo list.
I’m a little desperate!

Every minute you spend on writing a proper commit message … is worth it. for your own sake.

it will allow you to understand the intent behind this change when you look at it in 6 months … a year. Then it will be you, who hates past David for not taking a minute or 2 to explain why this and that was changed.

That it helps you to also easily get a summary for your release notes or the blog post, is added benefit.

My favorite example for a good style for this is Repositories - haproxy.git/log . They can basically use the git shortlog for their release notes and from reading the long log i have a pretty good idea which change I need or what the risks might be.

1 Like

I know that already.
Unfortunately, my own sake is not one of my goal right now. Too busy for that :slight_smile:

one last thing… on framagit there is a tag for 2.5.1 but the latest tarball on the website is 2.4.5 … should packagers now fetch the tarball from framagit or is 2.5 still dev branch?

I’ve just released new version 2.5.1 a few minutes ago…

wow the tarball is 1.4MB larger than the old one. what causes that?

We have added a lot of new CLUT-based transformations in this version, so I suspect the file resources/gmic_cluts.gmz to be larger than the old one
(still, 552 CLUTs encoded in a 2.5Mb file is awesome ! :slight_smile: ).

1 Like

I agree with everything you and others have been saying here and elsewhere. Just feel that I am not qualified to make such comments. :stuck_out_tongue: