How to get a pleasing result in a quick way? (Comparison to Lightroom)

Knowing you actually were pushing the blues a certain direction, would’ve helped, because I did very little with masking or selection colors. Just ‘global tone-mapping’ and ‘boosting local contrast’.

Adding ‘color balance rgb’, adding a parametic mask and selecting the blues (‘hz’ is the hue).

In the 4-way tab you can get some quick results by then lowering the global luminance, to darken blues, and in the original master tab you have hue-shift to push the blues more towards another kind of blue, and global vibrance to quickly ‘make them pop more’

Remember that you can often right-click on a slider to enter values manually, and also extend the range. The global luminance slider in the 4-ways tab goes to -5% for example, but if you right-click and type in ‘-10’, it’s now a slider that goes to -10%, and you can tune with the mouse.

If you like the darkblue broody skies:

4 Likes

I don’t have LR but I do have ON1 and for sure just cycling through their profile options can make a massive difference. There I select linear raw and this is more like the basic starting point for DT. They also have a neutral be even that has a substantial boost over the linear raw profile starting point. So massive changes to tone and color right out of the gate and LR will be doing the same sort of thing so doing a DT edit will always have to add module to compensate for that when you do a comparative edit and this might not actually be the way you would approach just doing a DT edit on its own from scratch…

Using the tone eq and blending in the blue channel can be yet another tool you can use on the sky. Use a gradient/drawn masking option if further control is needed and with some opacity adjustment you can dial in some nice blue and also impact yellows… + values on the curve add blue and negative ones can essentially add/boost yellow so you can use it to tonally tweak skies. I often even try without the mask as it can transfer the effect to scattered light or bounce light cast and make the effect seem more normal say for example a reflection on the lake.

I finally have something to chime in with, and it was not easy by any means. dt 4.2.1

DSC_9310.NEF.xmp (8.7 KB)

3 Likes

DSC_9310.NEF.arp (41.7 KB)

Here is my version. By all means it was not a quick edit, I tried to remake Viktor’s photo
I used ART and GIMP in the end (resynthisizer and also gave it a bit of a green tint)

3 Likes

My try. Using filmic rgb v5 + preserve chrominance = no

DSC_8732_01.NEF.xmp (50.6 KB)

6 Likes

A quick edit trying to avoid unnatural yellows (rpy).

DSC_9310.NEF.xmp (9.9 KB)

4 Likes

DSC_9310.NEF.xmp (29.6 KB)

2 Likes

Outstanding edit! What fantastic color judgment. That is something to learn from and to strive for!

I had to use a lot of “color balance rgb” but here is mine :slight_smile:

DSC_9310.NEF.xmp (16.4 KB)

2 Likes

Long time lurker, but i wanted to try this one as I’ve been trying to get close to the colors Adobe brings. This is the result of some module presets I made over the years (most of which I have set up to be the default), and a bit of manual tweaking, but all in all it maybe took me 2 minutes to get to this:

DSC_9310.NEF.xmp (20.8 KB)

6 Likes

So, I am retrying this with the current darktable.

DSC_9310_01.NEF.xmp (8.0 KB)

2 Likes

Not just a few sliders, but a 5 min edit at least. Two instances of tone eq, a general and one for additional contrast in the sky, two instances of color balance rgb, a general and one for extra saturation in the yellow sunlight, an extra instance of exposure for lifting the shadows in the bottom of the image, and finally double up on local contrast: 1 x diff&sharpen, 1 local contrast.

DSC_9310.NEF.xmp (17.3 KB)

5 Likes

OP here. I’m playing with darktable a lot recently and I learned so much by watching the YT videos from @s7habo and practicing what I learned. And guess what: Tables have somewhat turned, I caught myself trying to replicate a dt edit in LR :smile:. And I’m not that proud of my original edit anymore. Anyways I still appreciate every single one of your edits whether they try to mimic mine or add another flavor. Thank you!

14 Likes

Good to hear you’ve continued to evolve your skills, regardless of which software

4 Likes

You may fall back to the dark side of the force again, darktable is the resistance… :wink: :sweat_smile: :+1:

2 Likes

Here’s my attempt at matching the Lr edit with darktable 4.5.
I would prefer less saturation for my own style.

DSC_9310.NEF.xmp (9.7 KB)

And here’s one with colours I prefer more:

DSC_9310_01.NEF.xmp (13.9 KB)

This was a fun little break from work!

4 Likes

Here’s a try in ART 1.20.2 of reproducing the originally posted version. Not precisely the same but pretty close, IMO.

DSC_9310.NEF.arp (15.1 KB)

2 Likes

question to OP: does the LR edit was just a simple adjustments or more complicated job?

1 Like

Hi Andy, simple or not is in the eye of the beholder, right? For me it was rather basic. But I answered the same question already in this thread: How to get a pleasing result in a quick way? (Comparison to Lightroom) - #73 by freepenguin84.

If you have more questions, feel free to ask!