How to get OOC look / correct colors in Darktable

I think for me this is the main way I edit… I tried early on to create styles and or copy others but the global applicability and consistency of results just wasn’t there with that approach.

Going through a series I just pick an image to start with edit it and then copy the history stack followed by small tweaks as needed for these then when I come to the next image that needs a different approach …do a new edit then copy that if appropriate… I am sure styles can be used to automate some basic stuff but for me I use mostly module presets to build and edit and then copy paste and modify from that…

Since you mention RT…you can go to RT and load your image with the neutral profile. Compare that to the default profile that you see…The default will look much more like your jpg and the neutral will be quite flat…more like what you are seeing in DT…

This is the difference between software that adds a punch color and tone vs not…

In Dt if you use the basecurve vs filmic you will sort of see something similar.

You just have to get used to it that you are adding back a lot to the image in DT but you are in control of that and its not baked in…

If as you mentioned above you want little effort then using the base curve will suit you better but the main appeal of DT is actually the scene referred potential and in that case at least initially there will be some work to learn and apply this…

Hello, juste ouvert la photo dans Art sans rien touché.
Deepl translation:
Hello, just opened the picture in Art without touching anything.

Et cette fois en sélectionnant le profil “Neutre” après ouverture.
“And this time by selecting the “Neutral” profile after opening.”

1 Like