How to process this image?

RT 5.5 appimage

The image is at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1u6KEnvdhKPhZZbzrQaoG4fytwBJr_pXX/view?usp=sharing raf/raw

My “bad” pp3 is at: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IaqWdoS0cZFisLHwmAiUDNexJQhJM-ou/view?usp=sharing

The problem is the blanket that the cat is on, I can’t figure out a way of displaying it.

It’s all these stuff in the bottom right corner.

All suggestions are welcome

Thanks

Syv

Tone curve 1 looks much over-done to me, I would start with the Neutral profile and go step by step. The photo is OK, only a handful of pixels are overexposed.
The Auto-Matched Tone Curve tool is using the embedded jpeg preview image, this can not work with the in-camera edited and stylized shots like this, I suppose.

1 Like

Hi,

try increasing “Highlight compression” until the artifacts are gone (around 250 here)

A sample with highlight compression:

cares-20170727-4254_jac.jpg.out.pp3 (12.6 KB)
(Look at this, but a general rule is, listen to Alberto.)

… or this, only a tone curve applied.

1. Thanks that worked.
  2. Question: What the difference between highlight compression in the exposure, the highlights in the shadows/highlights and highlights of the residual image from the wavelet?

I have looked at the rawpedia and I have not found something that compare them and when I should be using one vs the other.

Thanks

Syv

Exposure and highlight compression happen much earlier in the processing pipeline, making it the more important tool. It determines the handling of the highlights at[1] demosaicing.

[1] Not exactly sure of the exact moment…

I went for the newlocallab branch to liven up the eyes and nose.

cares-20170727-4254.raf.pp3 (25.5 KB)

Looks good, but when it the locallab branch will be merged into “production”?

Thanks

Syv

I think the color and the brightness of the blanket is distracting and it should be desaturated and darkend. Here done with the “color zones” module in darktable. But I am sure this can also be done in RawTherapee (but not by me :wink: ).

cares-20170727-4254.raf.xmp (3.6 KB)

1 Like

Darken the blanket??