How to save a "text" watermark for future use in DarkTable on macOS Monterey

I have learned how to create a TEXT watermark in DarkTable, to select the font I want, to position the watermark, and to create a matching color for the watermark from something else in the image. It all works perfectly.

But… I need to be able to save this, so I can select it again without having to go through the same process every time. I have found how to save a fancy watermark, but not how to save a simple text watermark.

Can anyone suggest how this is done (in simple instructions, as I’m still not that familiar with the interface?

The following screen capture is where I expect to do this - but I can’t see anything to “save” this watermark:

Screen Shot 2021-12-01 at 15.20.48

https://darktable-org.github.io/dtdocs/en/darkroom/processing-modules/presets/

Store new preset…

Screenshot from 2021-12-01 21-42-01

Very confused - nothing I click on seems to bring up the screen you have shown above. How do I get to this screen, so I can “store new preset”???

I did go to the link, but I can’t find this. Apparently I need to bring up the Presets Menu, but what do I click on to achieve this?

And how do I find which version of DarkTable I am currently running? Maybe I don’t have 3.8 installed?

Oops, I found it. Thanks. I need to right-click on the three bars at the top right:

Suggestion - make those three bars a little more visible. On my screen, a calibrated display in an overly bright room, I barely notice them. They could be the same “white” color as the word “watermark” at the left.

Thanks - now I need to see if it works as intended.

You can do that. darktable is themable via CSS.

Thanks, I’ll check this out. I know nothing about CSS - yet.

This next bit comes with a caveat, but to possibly make life a bit easier for you:

Enter this in the preferences → general → Enter CSS theme tweaks here section:

@define-color button_fg #ff0000;

Press save CSS and apply to see the immediate result.

Change the #ff0000 bit to any colour you want.

The caveat: All buttons use the same name for as far as I could determine back when I played with this (button_fg → active button and button_bg → non active).

This small section in the darktable doc deals with Themes

1 Like

Thanks for the information, but I think I’ll leave things alone right now. I don’t like messing with things I don’t understand, and don’t know how I could “un-do” if I don’t like the result.

There are SO many things I need to get used to with DarkTable - it’s not yet intuitive, and I’m constantly searching for how to do things. I have it on my desktop Mac Mini, and on the MacBook Pro I’m using right now. I like the software, but there are so few menus up on top, it’s a struggle to find things - took my half an hour yesterday to find out how to open a new folder of images I had created, with images copied from my memory card. That’s OK…. Eventually it will all be worth it.

thanks,

-Mike

Understandable. I do like to be a bit more adventurous, though :grin: But I do not mess around with my main dartktable/RawTherapee instances, I use test version.

Just in case: In this specific CSS example going back to as-was is as easy as removing what you entered in that box and pressing save CSS and apply or deleting the user.css file from you darktable configuration directory.

True, it takes a while before you know your way around things. One thing at the time, often with looking at the docs and searching on-line, will do the trick. And it will be worth it (most of the time…).