How to sort images in virtual albums manually?

Hi,
I figured out how to use tags as virtual albums, which is working great. However, for example to select images for a photo book or for a slide show, I would like to sort the images manually. The problem is that the manual sorting seems to be global. If I change the order in a virtual album, the order will also be changed in the real album and any other virtual album that contains that image. Furthermore, if I change the order back, it is not restoring the previous order.

For example, if I have in an album the images:
1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Now I create a virtual album, and it will have the images:

Then I change the order manually in the virtual album to:

The order in the real album will then also become:
1, 3, 4, 5, 2, 6

Then, if I decide that maybe sorting it like this was not a good idea. When I change the order back to the previous order in the virtual album:
2, 5, 6

Then after that operation, the order in the real album will be:
1, 3, 4, 2, 5, 6

The 2 will be in the wrong position, it always be bound to be positioned before the 5.

Is there any way to have independent sorting for tagged images?

2 Likes

Manual sorting was designed for physical album mode. For virtual albums we would have to include the album ID in the sorting algorithm. When there’s time, I’ll see if it can be implemented.

3 Likes

It would be really nice to have this option, it would be a big improvement in usability.

1 Like

I’m a new user of digiKam and am currently familiarizing myself with the software. In my search to create virtual albums, I came across this thread. I signed up straight away because it describes exactly what I could use. Only when I can sort my projects independently of each other will I have the freedom I expect from an image database. Just like maderafunk wrote, it would be a big improvement. I would be happy to offer my help, but unfortunately I’m just a photographer, not a programmer. Is there any chance to see this feature in the future?