How to update G'MIC Gimp plug-in (Fedora 27) ?

Thanks to Partha, I can run G’MIC 2.0.0 on my Mac box version of Gimp 2.9 std. However, I’m stuck with 1.7.2 in Gimp 2.8.22 on the Fedora box.

Fedora 27 - I’ve tried to load the lastest qt files into the plugins folder. Even after renaming the existing G’MIC plugin, the latest isn’t acknowledged.
How can I upgrade the G’MIC plugin in this instance?

Mac OS 10.11.6 - If for some reason or another Partha decides not to support us any longer (hopefully not!), how can G’MIC be installed manually in this OS?

• The descriptions of G’MIC’s filters are extensive and appreciated. However, when it comes to installation, the instructions are sadly sparse from the perspective of those of us who aren’t command line and coding wizards. Any additional hand-holding directions would certainly also be appreciated :clap:

I don’t think there are recent packages for G’MIC on Fedora, so you’ll probably have to compile the plug-in by yourself (or find someone able to do this) in order to install the newest version.
Sorry about that.

1 Like

David, you of all people should not aplogise! Your efforts in producing this software are outstanding. Thank you very much! Nevertheless, could I be so crass as to ask somebody in the community for instructions on how G’MIC can be compiled in the various OS’ and spins?

1 Like

See the section “From Source” at http://gmic.eu/download.shtml

Oops. RTFM . Thanks, paperdigits.

But then again,

…It should not be much harder for other distros…

Probably not for the aforementioned coders and command line wizards. Yet for us plebian mortals, hmmmm :grimacing: Thus the request for hand-holding. Particularly with regards to other spins and Mac OS.

You’ll never learn anything new if you don’t try!

More than willing to try! This is why I am humbly asking for direction rather than for somebody else to compile for us!

There are step-by-step instructions on the page I linked

RTFM:

Here are the instructions to compile G’MIC on a fresh installation of Debian (or Ubuntu).

I’ve never used Fedora, so I can’t say if this is really similar or not. My guess is that if you are able to install the same kind pf packages as in Debian/Ubuntu, it should then work the same way.
This is just a guess anyway :slight_smile:

Thanks, David. “Happy Holidays”!

@heviiguy

• Do you have any experience in compiling apps?
  • Where are you getting GIMP from for your Fedora system?
  • Is G’MIC (Qt) compatible with GIMP 2.8.22?

Will alien work after compiling as debian set of files?
Not an expert on this but it looks possible and I want it badly so will try anyway:)

Probably useful if programmers stopped pretending that debian was the only architecture - because THEY like it?
RH even runs on our mainframe! zLinux they call it so ity is more than a niche alternative.
Wake up to the fact that more than 50-% of mainframe MIPS are running zLinux (and that means SuSe or RH) - more that z/OS code!

Debian is not an architecture, but a distribution of Linux and supporting tools, and in fact Debian supports many CPU architectures, probably more than any other distribution.

I don’t see what mainframe computers have to do with Fedora or other distributions packaging…

Packaging is a lot of work. Most of the programming teams for applications in this forum are quite small, so things like packaging are left to the distribution or the user. Instead of making criticisisms, do something positive and update the package for your distro of choice, mainframe, or otherwise.

The point is there’s plenty Linux running OFF X_86/ARM/Marvell and smaller toys. Most of that is RPM-based (SuSE and RedHat have most presence).
.Debian is an “architecture” in the sense that it implements package control using one of two most common package systems namely:
apt (control software)/.deb (pkgs) - the other: dnf (control software)/.rpm (pkgs). You seem to have had exposure to one side.
The question about using alien to convert a deb package to an rpm is perfectly valid and I was merely asking here if it had been done.
The fact that alien successfully converts between deb and rpm packages, means the process can be automated.
Alien has never failed me, but I don’t know if it works in all cases as G’MIC and its interfaces seem more complex than programs I have converted before. We’ll see once I have figured out what version to try.
The availability on the major part of the Linuxverse would be very useful. What I want and will help to achieve when I can, is speedy RPM package creation for this fantastic tool.
If there’s someone who can offer assistance for rpm-based linuxes - I’d gladly receive it and apply it.
You’d clearly be surprised how much web traffic is served up by mainframes masquerading as *nix boxes. They can emulate pretty well anything.
More mainframe MIPS are running zLinux than z/OS (native mainframe OS) and many are serving up web pages and have been for decades.
Want many desktops? A mainframe can serve up hundreds of thousands of desktops (97,000 in 2010) more than triple that now - on ONE machine. http://ibmsystemsmag.com/mainframe/administrator/virtualization/virtual_desktop/?page=2 - Pretending its presence is insignificant does not “make it true”. Feel free to “forget” that IBM donated a cool billion or so to Linux development in the late 90s - I think (not 100%) that’s more than anyone else spent to help. Oh, they donated journalling file system tech, which gave us ext2+ for free.
When I stop horsing around with mainframes (my work skills are source control and automation), I’ll have more time for these pursuits.
I’ll no doubt need to learn more. I’d want to be able to do this well enough and make it repeatable enough to pass useful knowledge on.
Anyway I digress too far. Unawareness of the bigger picture on the part of others is not my business.

Hi David and team, firstly: superb work - I love the G’MIC tool!
Fedora (and SuSe, others) use the Red Hat .rpm package architecture and there’s a program for .deb and .rpm based systems to convert one to the other. This program is called “alien”.
Given the apparent diversity and complexity of the interfaces you have built. I an unsure as to how successful it would be without “assistance”.
I can say, my success rate with other packages, so far, has been 100%.

Thanks @photohounds.
I must say packaging is definitely not one of my skill, so I’m afraid I won’t be able to help a lot.
I’ve already a lot of work with developing the software itself :keyboard: :slight_smile:

As an overall answer to "Can you update G’MIC on Fedora?’ I’d say to contact the fedora package maintainer. That’ll be easier than using Alien to convert the deb package. Fedora tends to be fairly bleeding edge.

In fact, if you’re on the latest version of Fedora, it is up-to-date: https://apps.fedoraproject.org/packages/gmic

And if you’re on a supported version, you’re not too far behind.

There is no need to be rude.

OK and thanks. 28 going on this weekend, which will achieve much of what I would like to try. Could be that it will greatly simplify the upgrade.
I certainly wouldn’t be offended if someone showed me something I was unaware of. Even in my own skill set, that still happens.

There’s a lot more to Linux than one or two distros - there are many.
Being the “other game in town” and having skilled and tenacious developers is how Linux got its foothold.
I am forever grateful and want to give something back as well as help “me”.