How to use Digikam to automagically download, rename and put images in folders according to date.

Because reasons I had to switch back to Windows and consequently I can’t use the absolutely wonderful Rapid Photo Downloader anymore.

I had become accustomed to a workflow where I just downloaded images off of my SD card into a root folder called RAW and Rapid Photo Downloader would rename all my files adding a date prefix and sorting them all in folders according to the image date.

More specifically, my images would be renamed to yyyy-MM-dd__filename.raw and folders would be created like RAW/yyyy/yyyy-MM/yyyy-MM-dd.

All I had to do was pick the root folder - RAW, and click download. How do I do this with Digikam, or any other (free) software under Windows?

I tried poking around the Digikam settings but I find it obtuse and really frustrating. I got as far as renaming the files, but the folder hierarchy was still something I wasn’t able to do.

Thanks.

I do this with exiftool. On windows you can name the exe file with the CLI parameters you want to use and drag and drop your files onto it. I’ll post my one liner when I’m back at my computer.

Find a copy of free D.I.M. (Digital Image Mover); DIM5-build 228 is the latest version I am aware of.

DIM5-build 225 is good as well, or any version for that matter.

You can set it up to rename and folder image files just about any way you desire.

It will keep RAW/jpeg mates together and named identically.

1 Like

Wonderful. That did it.

It is indeed a wonderful program; alas, hard to find and unsupported now for several years, but it works fine, support or not.