HSL/HSV artifacts - need help please :(

So I’ve been working on some portrait edits (no samples handy at the time but will post later tonight) and I’ve messed with the L and V settings on orange tones in order to try some changes out on the skin tones. I find that it rather easily ends up creating weird artifacts where that tone meets other tones.

Does Lightroom apply some noise removal algorithm to deal with that noise? Any thoughts?

. * bump *

I’m not sure anyone will know what Lightroom does in terms of noise removal algorithms, as it is closed source and there just aren’t a lot of Light room users here :wink:

* bump *

HAHAHA oh crap. I’m SO sorry I forgot to post. Will swiftly do so and come back.

am ashamed

. * bump *

– edit
Second time in about a week I reply before scrolling down only to find someone posted the same thing already :stuck_out_tongue:

So here are the artefacts I mean.

Before:

After Value darkening:

After LAB L darkening:

Also:

Before:

After HSV:

After LAB:

I have tried out out of these settings on one of my portraits. And get similar results.

What you are seeing is not noise. Many of the tools will produce similar banding or zone color effects when tools are pushed to extremes. Because these effects depend on the pixel values in the image it is probably not possible or even useful to try to make the tools fail safe - that is never produce an ‘unslightly’ effect.

I think you just have to accept that the tools have limits to which they can be used.

Well to be honest I did think I’d likely get an answer like that :frowning:
Still sucks.

I have had similar problems with those LAB-tools, including skin tones targeting LC. Sometimes they are useful, sometimes you just hit the limits too early. I prefer using Gimp to do this kind of edits.

It’s a late update, but I’ve found that applying noise removal at the end of the process can greatly reduce this effect.