Hugin can't read metadata from CR3 files

I hope this forum is suitable for asking questions about Hugin. I am having problems with my CR3 files being skipped because the metadata for these files could not be read. Is there any workaround for this?

1 Like

Afaik, Hugin doesn’t work with raw files, it uses an external program to convert them to TIFF first. In such cases, I prefer to do the conversion myself, so I can control (limit…) the luminosity and colour differences between the separate images.

So the workaround would be to deal with the images in dt first, and export to an intermediate format (I prefer PNG, TIFF is of course an option as well, even jpeg works). Then import those intermediate files into Hugin.

1 Like

There’s actually a category Software|Hugin. Just type hugin into the category box, and it will be selected.

2 Likes

I tried to open CR3 files in Hugin and they wouldn’t open because the metadata could not be read. I am wondering if others have this problem or if CR3 files work for them.

Hugin is a software to combine (‘stitch’) multiple photos together, e.g. to create a panorama with a wide field of view.

See http://hugin.sourceforge.net/.

CR3 is the raw file format of recent Canon cameras.

For someone who claims to be a “seasoned content writer”, your post sounds an awful lot like a spambot…

1 Like

Yes, post and user deleted.

2 Likes

Hugin is using exiv2 to read the metadata.
But to read the metadata from cr3 files a special initialization of the exiv2 library is necessary.
This was missing in Hugin and should be fixed in default branch.
So the next version should be able to read metadata from cr3 files.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply. Any idea when the next version would be released? there would be a lot of CR3 users out there now suffering the same fate as me.

This was the first report about this issue :wink:
Also on Hugins mailing or in the bug tracker Bugs : Hugin this issue did not appear before.
In the last years there was one release at the end of the year (final release in November/December).
So I assume it will the same in this year.

Thanks for your reply. Should I file a bug report? The link sent mentioned ubuntu and since I am windows would that be appropriate?

Hi Terry,

this is Hugins bug tracker for all systems. Hugin is only using launchpad infrastructure of the bug tracker.
Because the bug is already fixed there is no need to open a ticket.

I have the latest version of Hugin and it is not working, so do you mean the next release will have the fix?

yes. The fix is only in the source code. But no binary package for Windows with the fix have been build.

Great. I look forward to a future release with the fix. Thanks for the help.