HW-calibrated display, color profiles and darktable workflow

Hi all,

I’m quite new to color profiling/calibrating and related workflows thus I hope you could help me out a bit.

My setup is:

1. Wide gamut Dell monitor: UP2720Q. This monitor provides a self-calibration feature with a built-in colorimeter. This works well and no extra HW or SW is needed, however neither on Linux nor Mac there is a way to download the ICC profile after calibration. And no windows here, no…
  2. Thinkpad with Intel UHD 620 graphics
  3. Xfce4 (Xorg) on top of xubuntu 21.10
  4. darktable 3.8.1
  5. I use geequie for first selection and final examination of my pictures

As the monitor supports AdobeRGB color profile internally but I don’t have and cannot create dedicated ICC profiles I installed in Xfce’s color manager following profiles:

• Dell Default created by argyll using monitors EDID information. I don’t even have a clue if this is based on AdobeRGB, sRGB or even other color space.
  • AdobeRGB (1998) provided by ‘icc-profiles-free’
  • sRGB from ‘icc-profiles-free’ as well

In darktable I set the ‘display-profile’ to AdobeRGB in lighttable and and select AdobeRGB in ‘output color profile’ for every image I edit in darkroom.
For the export I make sure they are exported to jpegs using sRGB profile.

Now my workflow usually looks like this:

• I have to go into the monitor settings, switch color space to AdobeRGB,
  • edit my pictures making sure all output profiles are set to AdobeRGB as well.
  • Then export them to sRGB,
  • switch my monitor (fiddling int the settings) back again to sRGB
  • check if all exported jpegs are still to my taste (geequie).

Is this the way you do it as well, or am I over-complicating this?

What’s the impact of the selected color profile in Xfce’s settings if I use dedicated AdobeRGB profile in darktable instead of ‘system display profile’. Will the later be completely left out of the pixel pipeline, or do I have to make sure Xfc’s/Xorg color management is setup correctly as well?

Thanks,
Foka

I think there is a still an ICC file for that monitor…it doesn’t change with calibration the changes are made in the monitor and stored there but I think HW calibrated monitors still use an ICC file…

I could be wrong …Sounds like you use a laptop with the monitor as a secondary display so that would be where you would assign the correct profile…at least that is what I would expect… so your laptop icc in display and the monitor in preview…if this is how you use it…

EDIT… THs is a great channel…what I was trying to convey…likely badly is explained here just a bit before min 2 through 4…

This channel covers a wide range of profiling topics…often showcasing BENQ but it would be the same for Dell. When to switch ICC Profile on a hardware calibrated display & other ICC Profile Q&A - YouTube

Hi,

Indeed i do connect the monitor to my laptop, but I never use both displays at the same time. Whenever I connect the monitor I usually close the laptop lid and use the single display setting in display manager. I hope Xorg does the job and switches automatically to the correct profile.

I assume that correct/updated ICC is necessary whenever the display gets re-calibrated. Especially if the calibration/validation process reveals some deviations from ‘ideal’. May be the video you posted will explain this.
Thanks for the link.

-Foka

I also have a wide gamut Dell monitor. A long time ago I was doing the same as you, switching between AdobeRGB and sRGB on monitor but I’ve figured out it was not the good way so I’ve made the following :

I calibrated the monitor with DisplayCAL and an xrite i1Display pro measuring probe, I have calibrated the monitor on a 6500K white and 90 cd/m² of luminosity. I also changed luminosity and RGB gain via the in monitor menu in the “personal color” profile following DisplayCAL instructions while calibrating.
The calibration resulted in a profile that I installed.

In darktable, I’ve set the display profile on “system”.

and voilà :slight_smile: whatever I open an sRGB or AdobeRGB picture in a color-managed program (firefox, Geequie, darktable …) , the picture will look as it should.

4 Likes

Don’t overthink color management, you are supposed to have a color management system which will take care of on-the-fly color conversions.

1 Like

Since having access to Windows, I’ve calibrated my EIZO with Color Navigator + i1 Display Pro, copied the ICC profile and put in darktable’s color/out folder so I could set it as display profile1.

As @anon41087856 said - it’s set & forget. Once the characteristic of my display has been described (in the ICC profile) at given hardware settings (D50 illuminant and native gamut in my case), I don’t change anything (the buttons on the monitor are even locked :wink: )

Every 40 hours built in sensor checks if everything is okay and that’s it. No need to hop between monitor modes and settings.

1 My fresh install of EndeavourOS happily doesn’t allow me to choose the ICC in XFCE settings, so I manually selected the profile in darktable.

Yeah, you have the ICC profile because, as far as understand, you use dedicated colorimeter hardware and DisplayCal.
Unfortunately DisplayCal doesn’t support the built-in colorimeter in my monitor and I don’t want to spend extra money for an additional colorimeter.

As a fallback I’ll try to work with the default AdobeRGB ICC-profile and set the monitor to AdobeRGB color space only. I’ll edit some pictures on my Linux box, export them to sRGB-jpegs and verify the on my wife’s Mac. I’ll report later.

-Foka

Don’t overthink color management, you are supposed to have a color management system which will take care of on-the-fly color conversions.

I would like :wink:
I believe your statement is true as long as a valid ICC profile is installed, and this I don’t seem to have.
Or are you referring to the standard AdobeRGB (from icc-profiles-free package) and using just the system profile in Darktable while the monitor is always set to AdobeRGB color space (without switching back and froth between both color spaces)?

Well, I thought I would get the ICC profile without a need to buy extra hardware.

Did you install ‘xiccd’ package? I had the same issue, but after installing it, color settings in Xfce4 seem to work well.

-Milosz

1 Like

I don’t own i1 either - it was borrowed :slight_smile: Perpahps you could find a friend or someone who has it and will be willing to share.

Or if you live in Poland (I’m guessing from the name Miłosz), you could hire a pro who will carry the calibration process for you, e.g.:

http://kalibracja-monitora.pl/cennik-kalibracji/

Perhaps not, since I wasn’t aware of its existence :sweat_smile:

Well, my parents are from Poland but I live in Germany since I was a small kid…
Anyway, AFAIK, in my area there a no calibration services. I think this is because a calibration device costs about 150-250 Euro which probably isn’t much more than the service itself would cost.

The idea to borrow a colorimeter however is interesting. I’ll ask around.
Thanks!

You need 3 types of ICC. A camera/scanner/in calibration profile, a working profile, a display, print, out calibration profile. With your Dell screen, you had to create the display profile with the calibrate app which comes with the Dell, under win, & you export it to Linux. Let’s notice… In win, you can choose 24 or 30 bits display mode. In Linux, with Nvidia, you can choose the same. Don’t mix! In Linux, you install the ICC with the Colord packages (+ xiccd if needed). In your graphic software, you select the icc made under window as a display profile, a linear working profile (prophoto, rec2020), & your camera/scanner calibration’s profile.

5 Likes

If every part of the color management gonkulator is fed with an appropriate profile, you should see no material difference between sRGB JPEGs displayed on you wife’s sRGB laptop and your AdobeRGB-mode monitor fed through a AdobeRGB profile. Just make sure your sRGB JPEGs contain an embedded sRGB profile.

1 Like

problem is AdobeRGB is a color space, not a hardware profile, so I’m not sure it’s good. :thinking:

1 Like

In the monitor settings it’s ‘AdobeRGB’ color space but, as I understand it, the matching ICC-profile, on the computer, is called ‘AdobeRGB’ as well, isn’t it?

I use a sRGB profile as my display profile on my close-to-sRGB Windows tablet, works fine. If the display is set to a known colorspace, this should work.

I use Elle Stone’s well-behaved ICC profiles for such stuff:

https://github.com/ellelstone/elles_icc_profiles

Yes. If you need an AdobeRGB profile, I recommend this one from Elle Stone’s collection:

https://github.com/ellelstone/elles_icc_profiles/blob/master/profiles/ClayRGB-elle-V2-g18.icc

If it’s too dark, then this one:
https://github.com/ellelstone/elles_icc_profiles/blob/master/profiles/ClayRGB-elle-V2-srgbtrc.icc

I chose the V2 versions of these in case your software can’t read V4 ICC profiles. If it can, however, there are V4 versions available at the same place.

Edit: Oh, “ClayRGB” is the name she gave to these profiles to avoid copyright conflicts with Adobe. They contain the same color primaries and tone curves as the Adobe profiles.

It should work if your screen has been configured correctly, with the good white point and the good luminosity value … I don’t think it’s a good way to do with a wide gamut screen, it will not use all the screen capability.

Hi. I have a CX-model Eizo with a built in correction sensor to maintain settings and a compatible Xrite device. So if I understand you correctly, I can generate an ICC profile using CN7 on windows on my dual-boot pc, use that profile in Ubuntu and then still use the Eizo built in correction sensor to maintain the calibration? Thanks

I think so - mine built-in sensor once calibrated, works independently of operating system. When I switch off the computer (and the monitor along) sensor pops out and does its job.