Hydro-electric dam at Pitlochry

We are moving to Pitlochry in Scotland shortly. I managed to get this shot while the overflow from Loch Faskally was open. The one thing I can’t seem to sort out is the small amount of blow-out in the plume of water.

My initial attempt is here - _CTW2403 | Pitlochry Dam | Yorkshire Exile | Flickr

This file is licensed Creative Commons, By-Attribution, Share-Alike._CTW2403.nef (55.3 MB) _CTW2403.nef.xmp (14.6 KB)

2 Likes

dt 3.4.0

Done some work on the blownout area (see steps 21 ff in history). Mainly highlight reconstruction, filmic, and colour reconstruction. Colour balance to set a spot light. Strangely enough the blown out area looks a lot nicer in darkroom than after exporting.

darkroom 100%:

_CTW2403.nef.xmp (19.7 KB)

By the way, the thumbnail of the flickr page will show up if you remove the www. from it.

dam.pitlochry.pp3 (15.7 KB) RawTherapee 5.8 (Development)

Colour propagation does a nice job resconstructing the highlights when using RawTherapee. The rest is a balancing act. Especially when you want to lighten things up a bit and emphasize (restore?) the very few colours present in this shot.

This is a nice image when you use RawTherapee and want to play with the Wavelet levels tab…

Anyway: Thanks for sharing this one!

EDIT: Bit more detail in the water plume

Wow, really high dynamic range.

_CTW2403.nef.xmp (19.5 KB)

_CTW2403.nef.xmp (11.4 KB)

ART 1.8.2, used local edit to restore the blown out area in the water.

I’m accustomed to 24MP files from my camera, so I was quite surprised when I zoomed in on this 46MP on this one!

I like this image with slightly more subdued colors.

_CTW2403.jpg.out.arp (11.4 KB)

I also did one in darktable:

dam.pitlochry.nef.xmp (14.0 KB) darktable 3.5.0+1567~g4e6781e2d

This turns out to be a really nice image to edit :smile:

1 Like

Thanks for all your replies, I have learnt something from all of them.

Have a virtual dram from the local distillery for all your efforts.

Wysyłanie: _CTW2403-darktable-GIMP_LAB.jpg
darktable=>GIMP_LAB