I can't get Darktable to work anymore

Without seeing the logs, it’s like poking in the fog…
Start darktable from the command line with debug option -d common or -d all to hopefully get meaningful output to the log file.

That means:

1. press [Windows key + R] → type cmd, press Enter
  2. type "c:\program files\darktable\bin\darktable" -d common, press Enter (or -d all instead of -d common)

The logs will be in C:\Users<username>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\INetCache\darktable\darktable-log.txt.

If your Windows is not English, the paths may be different. For example, instead of Program Files, it could be many other translated paths (Program Files - Wikipedia).

1 Like

After everything, completely fresh install of windows, no updates.
The log file contains the same line as previous:
"Magick: caught exception 0xC0000005 “Access Vision”. …Magick: caught exception 0xC0000005 “Access Vision”…

At this point, I’m pretty disgusted with the whole thing… I’ve spent the last year learning DT, and loved it.
Looks like I’ll have to scrap it.

Joe, run these commands. You have nothing to loose by doing so.

chkdsk /f /r C: (assuming that C is your O/S drive)

SFC/scannow

Have you tried this… create a new shortcut for DT… add to the command line… --configdir “path” in the quotes provide the name of a new empty folder… And now try to run DT using this short cut…

Doe it work?? if so your config files in the normal locations might have an issue… I am running on Win11 and touch wood have had no issues…

EDIT any change you have a gamepad loading…one user reported this issue and it was fixed by uninstalling the gamepad drivers… For sure this has been reported before searching this forum and the github site might turn up something…

Not Access Vision, but rather Access violation.

Image Magick is an external tool darktable uses for some formats. If it’s OK with you, I’ll add a comment to that issue. The developers will be able to support you, but it will take some time and patience.

I’ve opened this for you, but I cannot supply a log file or details:

Before you throw away everything you’ve learnt, you could also try the latest development build (which will become darktable 4.6, come Christmas). Maybe it has already been fixed, maybe not.

If you could post the log file here (attach it as a .txt), I could attach it to the bug report I created. Of course, if you have / are willing to create a GitHub account, you could do that yourself, as well.

Here’s that log file… thank you all for any help.

darktable-log.txt (171 Bytes)

Is that with -d all?

no. just the regular txt file… I’ll try to figure how to run the way that you said, but I have to apparently be in the same directory to run it… It just says it’s a bad command.

Please try the alternative shortcut using clean config files. You have installed reinstalled etc etc. This could still leave a residual mess. Running using new config files in a new location might reveal if there is an issue or that you have some residual corruption floating around in your system… ignore these comments if you have tried this and I missed it

Todd, he has already tried that.

And also I can't get Darktable to work anymore - #10 by Joe_Sabo

Okay… in Windows the files do get spread around… I know people say they uninstall etc etc but I am not always confident so I just suggest the clean config route… People have tried installing DT in a new directory but it still uses the same default location for config files over as many installs as you would do in as many different directories unless you tell it otherwise… Thanks for the update

@Joe_Sabo I downloaded Bill’s weekly DT build… so its current as of last night… I made a sort of portable version so you can just download the zip file and unzip it in your downloads folder or to a usb and then run using the batch file I put in the darktable directory… THe batch file simply points DT ie darktable.exe to use a config folder created within that program directory… so nothing is going on your system or into your current install…

Give this a try and see if it works or the same error…

So you have nothing to install. Just unzip and run…

1 Like

I think another user having issues revisited the remove “opencl compatibility pack” from Windows… you could check for that and if you have it installed remove it… and see if you are back in business…

1 Like

Try to do, as said in faq darktable website page, Uninstall OpenCL Compatibility app.

Joao, Please post a log file… If you can also the output from darktable-cltest…

i did the cmd -d all… unfortunately, I had a thought before posting the log file here… and did a search on my entire system, and deleted every last file and directory that had the name darktable in it.
I then, reinstalled 4.4.2… It’s working fine now, with the exception of not installing its plugin in Gimp.
I’d rather it worked, but I can live with that.

Update on the plugin in Gimp… I reinstalled Gimp since I’d assumed I’d deleted everything DT related , including in Gimp… All is working great , as usual so far…