I miss the "sharpen" tool - mask unsharp is not half as good

Since upgrading to 2.10 (the best Gimp in a decade) I terribly miss the “sharpen” tool. It was easy and efective. Mask unsharp doesn’t do the trick half as good (or I simply don’t get the values right).

why has this been left behind?

Not sure, but you should install G’MIC and use Lucy Richardson or Octave sharpening. They are both great.

G’MIC is installed, but there’s no G’MIC for Gimp yet, and honestly: I don’t want to add another program to the workflow. 90% of the work is done in dt, then I go to the Gimp for dodge&burn, maybe a re-sizing and a final sharpening before converting to JPG.

Sharpen was great and has disappeared. Anybody knows why and - more important - will it be back?

??? Have you looked under Filters (next to last entry in The Gimp)?

You will find the appimage here:

/Claes

Yes, I looked int filters - that’s where it has always been …

I am puzzled.
Linux or Windows or …?
From where did you get The Gimp?

/Claes

Linux, ubuntu repos

If he is using the system gimp, and has gmic installed but not the gmic gimp plugin isn’t that normal behavior?

I forgot - the Gimp comes from the otto-kesselgulasch PPA

1 Like

Aha! Then please test one of the appimages I gave
a link to, above…

/Claes

In gimp 2.10.x, hit the / key and start typing sharpen. You’ll get a list of all the native GIMP filters and plugins. Maybe it has just moved.

nope - it’s not showing … I don’t even see “mask unsharp” when looking via /

Do you mean this tool?

No, I miss filters/enhance/sharpen (Filter | Verbessern | Schärfen in my German language version)

I see this in my GIMP.

If you have G’MIC, you should have a selection of

Which version of Linux are you using? I’m using Mint 19 Cinnamon (Ubunto 18.04). When I installed Otto ppa and wanted to get G’mic to work on it, I had to either install the G’mic DEB file, or the otto Gmic-Gimp ppa via Synaptic Package Manager. Either of those should work.

Or just use the AppImage with plugins…

I am on Leap 15 and installed gimp 2.10.4 from the obs graphic repo.
The plain “Sharpen” filter is gone and it seems that it has been substituted with the new “Sharpen (Unsharp Mask)” - there is also a legacy version of the unsharp mask at the bottom.
Kinda sad too, as I liked to use a little of the simple sharpen filter after resizing (downscaling) my pictures for web display. Small radius around 0.8 + low values around 0.6-0.8 get me in the ballpark for doing that with “Sharpen (Unsharp Mask)”.
I like the results with the new filter but it does require a little more tweaking than the more coarse but simple sharpen filter