I need a new mouse (Linux)

Hello friends. So I’m trying practising in Darktable, but my current mouse wheel is having issues. So I went to Best Buy and saw this Logitech MX Master Wireless mouse. It’s very comfortable and it has two wheels. One works horizontally and the other one is vertically. This seems very helpful for those moving slides on the Darktable modules.

The issue is that this mouse is not compatible with linux. Is there a similar mouse in the market similar to this one with Linux compatibility?

Here is the mouse I’m talking about.

It could be compatible with Linux, since if its officially compatible with OSX. But I don’t know if/how Linux will support the side wheel. AFAIK Logitech has one single mouse (the M560, IIIRC) which is Windows8±only (some buttons send a keyboard sequence which is understood only on Win8+).

I used to have the MX Anywhere. Good mouse, but eats batteries fast (a pair of AA batteries per month). The MX Master works on rechargeable batteries so that could be better. The MX Anywhere also worked on glass as advertised, but didn’t work on some fairly frequent surfaces (wood) that are no problems for other mice.

I currently use the M705 Marathon (Lenovo T430+Ubuntu 14.04). Battery life is infinite (a pair of AA per year…). Doesn’t work on glass or very shiny surfaces (such as the enameled sheet table I am typing this on) but works decently on a regular desk. The wheel can be pushed sideways (cue the “<>” symbols on the sides of the wheel) for lateral scrolling and in many UIs the wheel scrolls laterally when there is no need for vertical scroll.

Otherwise order from Amazon, try, return…

2 Likes

It look like reports are saying it works fine with the unifying receiver (instead of Bluetooth).

I use a G700s and have the various buttons mapped to different WM things; two of the forward/back thumb buttons are right/left desktops, and the right/left tilt of the scroll wheel zooms.

I was having pretty bad wrist soreness for a while, but this mouse has helped a lot: https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Wireless-Vertical-Ergonomic-Optical/dp/B00BIFNTMC

Depending on your distro, the Logitech unifying receiver can be a pain.

1 Like

Hi @Psyfurius & all,

I have a strong dislike for wireless mice.

At first, everything worked just fine, until one day, the cursor on my monitor started to live a life of its own. It turned out that my wife was changing TV channels upstairs - using another wireless mouse - which my mouse’s receiver gladly picked up downstairs, and her wireless keyboard also interfered with mine.

Seems as all Logitech wireless devices use the same frequency, which means that you can just operate one set in the same house or so.

From that day on, I only use wired connections.

I work in rather cramped openspaces and I have never seen my mouse being interfered with by someone else’s. The Logitech “Unifying” peripherals have to be “paired” with the receiver so there is no interference (but reception could be jammed by a really strong signal…).

This is the same mouse I have been using for more than a year now. It has greatly reduced carpal tunnel pain issues, and I can confirm it works very well with Xubuntu (I am currently at 15.04). I highly recommend it!

1 Like

Hi all and thank you for your replies and recommendations. I’m gonna buy the Anker 2.4G Wireless Vertical Ergonomic Optical Mouse. I did some research and seems that it’s a good mouse and very comfortable, specially with persons who have big hands like me. So thank you @paperdigits and @Isaac for your recommendation.

2 Likes

I feel your pain, must have the batteries charger nearby…

Hi CarVac! I am also using G700, but I have not been able to run Logitech Setpoint successfully via Wine. How did you program your mouse buttons? One obvious way to do it is to connect the mouse to a Windows computer and do it in Windows, but I am just wondering have you figured out a way to do it in Linux?

@Janne Päivää!
Would this help?

One of the default modes simply has the buttons act as higher-numbered mouse buttons, which you simply map to shortcuts normally.

When I accidentally hit the mode switching button I have to cycle through them again trying to find the right one.