I'm unable to draw lines

Hello, I’m a relative newbie to GIMP.

I’m having the problem of being unable to draw lines, pencil or brush, on a photo. I’m trying to make an overlay map on a photo of the area where I live. For some reason, I’m unable to use the pencil or brush tools to draw lines. This was happening in version 2.10.32 too.

I tried updating from version 2.10.32 to 2.10.34. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the program.

This is a multiple-layer map. Am I limited in the number of layers I can use? I have drawn on the layer I’m working on, but then I stopped being able to draw lines.

GIMP 2.10.34
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

Thanks,
Dave

Be sure you are on the image part of the layer… sometimes its possible to select the mask accidentally.

of being unable to draw lines

Is this because:

• you can’t find/start a tool that does this?
  • you get a “forbidden” sign when using the tool
  • there is no mark when you draw
  • other

Also, see this checklist.

Otherwise, can you show a screenshot of the UI with Layers list and tool options visible?

1 Like

I draw lines all the time in GIMP. We will be able to help you if you share the information requested by others.

Thanks, Ofnuts, for the link to the checklist. I had an area selected in the image.
Once I cleared the selection, I was able to draw lines again.

Thanks for your help, people, it’s much appreciated. Here’s a little of the image I’m working on.

2 Likes

It’s just a rough map.

That’s something I would do with Inkscape and not with GIMP. I think that’s the better tool for this task.

1 Like

I agree, and more easy with inkscape