image editing terminology in German

Hi guys,

how do you call the dark line around the contours of the clouds in German? The image is oversharpened.

Thanks in advance

Best

Anna

Interesting question. While I’m a native speaker (if you’d call the Swiss that), I hardly ever talk about image processing in German. :slight_smile:

In practice I’d just use compounding and call it a Überscharfungsartefakt. It’s a bit plump but it gets the point across without getting into the technicalities.

I think you could also call them Halos in German: Halo (Bildbearbeitung) – Wikipedia even though the definition in the German wikipedia is a bit odd.

If the oversharpening is creating ripples (doesn’t really seem to be the case here) I might also call it a Ringartefakt. Again wikipedia has a bit of a narrow definition for that one: Ringartefakt – Wikipedia

5 Likes

Didn’t we have a very similar question already?

I would call it “Saum” or “dunkler Saum”.

Hermann-Josef

1 Like

Yes, that was slightly different. It was the term “halo”.
Hopefully you will see why I am asking this in November.

At the sky/cloud border, we have a dark line on the dark (sky) side and a light line on the light (cloud) side. In English, I sometimes call this “overshoot”, because this captures the concept that values are pushed too far away from the local average.

Sorry, I don’t know the German for “overshoot”.

1 Like

In my mind, I call it baked (overcooked; over-processed). An image is baked when one pushes an image filter to the point where its flaws show. Shapening, dehazing and tone mapping are the usual suspects.

Behind the scenes, edge artifacts arise from edge approximation and enhancement. Observe the shaky hand drawing of an edge. Sharpening is trying to make the cliff steeper. The squiggly line is trying to do that. It has a steeper face at one point. However, there is a degree of haloing and gradient reversal where the slope isn’t centred at the original edge. There is also ringing caused by the undulating parts of the curve (lobes). This isn’t a rigorous description but I was hoping to introduce you to all these terms. Unfortunately, people, including researchers, often use them carelessly, which can cause confusion. GIMP and other apps generally call this artifact halo, which is why they have a re-scaling algorithm called nohalo. Personally, I wouldn’t call it halo. I would reserve that to cases where the radius, SD, etc., estimates are inaccurate, causing spatial anomalies such as blurring or shifting of tone or colour.

lobes

PS Funny thing happened. I accidentally set my wallpaper to tile this very graph! I think I will keep it there for a week and see how it goes. :smile: Edit the white is so blinding: negated it!

1 Like