Image viewer in Linux

What is your favourite image viewer in Linux?

2 Likes

http://www.geeqie.org/

14 Likes

XnView :wink:

4 Likes

feh with -F and --auto-rotate

In long version :wink:

cd Images_folder
feh -F --auto-rotate

Ligth and fast.

Z

2 Likes

Cool, didn’t know that. Thanks!

1 Like

Nomacs

3 Likes

fotoxx

1 Like

Another command-line gem is qiv (QIV - Quick Image Viewer - Homepage (for Linux, Sun, FreeBSD and HP-UX)). And, searching for qiv, I’ve just found a rewrite, pqiv, which I have not yet tested: GitHub - phillipberndt/pqiv: Powerful image viewer with minimal UI.

1 Like

Geeqie is also my go-to viewer; previously, I also used Gwenview: Gwenview - KDE Applications.

2 Likes

hdrview

1 Like

Didn’t know Geeqie. This is fantastic :slight_smile: thanks for mentioning!

2 Likes

qimgv because I wanted something like IrfanView

gThumb of course!

1 Like

Gwenview would be great if it would display colors correctly.
https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=420760

For those comfortable on the command line, a very convenient way to quickly scan through some photos is to use the ranger file manager configured to display images in the terminal. This is what it looks like (with some personal details painted over):

There are other tools to see and manage images from the terminal, for example GitHub - hackerb9/lsix: Like "ls", but for images. Shows thumbnails in terminal using sixel graphics.

Used Geeqie for years but I really like Gwenview. Even though I’ve mostly switched to GNOME I still use it.

IrfanView, used it for centuries on Windows and found it on Linux, too

I use Geeqie because of its inbuilt collections and scripting ability.

For those interested, some script examples can be found here.

most of all I use XnViewMP - a super program on Windows, on Linux it doesn’t run quite as well. That’s why I’m looking for an alternative.

gTumb works fine, but I can’t find a way to compare two images. Does anyone know it?

Geeqie works fine - but unfortunately it can’t rename photos by date taken. Is that possible?

Another Geeqie user, excellent for comparisons/explorations.

For culling images before importing them into darktable, I now use FastRawViewer with wine. Equally fast as under Windows, it’s a great tool for judging the quality or potential of your capture, rather than a specific rendition of it. I have minor “problems” with fonts on the splash screen and in the preference tree. Everything else works as it should.

2 Likes