Image viewer in Linux

Never tried, I will, for batch resizing ImageMagick resize is enough for me!

I don’t resize jpeg’s anymore. If I do it’s Image (or Graphics) Magick. Instead I export a new file from Rawtherapee (previously darktable).

The real pain in this process is the metadata handling, due to poor xmp support, but mentally the Raw file is the master for me and all exported files are just temporary children exported for one specific purpose or another.

Indeed xmp management is usually poor. Geeqie is able to deal with it as long as it’s one file per image. For example darktable creates sidecar files with a slightly different filename (with version number included) when there is multiple versions of the same image. This case isn’t covered by Geeqie.

To rename images and renaming accordingly the xmp files I wrote a little python script, and it wasn’t easy to achieve the support for multiple versions!

Is there still no easy way in gTumb to put two images side by side to compare them exactly? That is and remains the only thing I miss in this great program.

For me, there is NO good software for viewing images, on Linux or elsewhere.
An opportunity to start a thread: “Requirements for developers to design an image viewer” ?
(many developers have very limited image skills and requirements…)

The result will probably have to have a lot of options…

Amazing statement, although there are really very good programs. gThumb is good, as is geeqie.

And then there is the all superior digiKam.

What are you not satisfied with? What are you missing?

I presume you’ve tried the latest one? New Image Viewer: avis-imgv

1 Like