Import from two SD cards

Hi, I am new here with my first question:

I mostly import my pictures directly from two identical sd cards who I had taken from two different cameras (Olympus OM-D). When I change the cards in the card reader, the import module recognizes not the new card, so it does not refresh the file list. It shows the file list of the first card only with the filenames but without the preview pictures.

My workaround is to start a new search (“Nach Geräten suchen…”) without having a card in the card reader. Then, the pictures at second card will be found properly. Is there a better solution?

Karsten

darktable won’t move your files off the SD card. You need to use a separate application, such as Rapid Photo Downloader, exiv2, exiftool, or your file manager.

1 Like

Thank you! But this it not my question, how to remove the files from the card. My question ist, how to refresh the the file list from a second card in one session of DT.

(I speak about DT 3.0.2 an a Linux Mint 19.3 system)

I think this is a problem related to this bug report (not noticing that a camera was disconnected, darktable lists it twice - and stalls when the user tries to use the first instance of the camera · Issue #4917 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub)
Darktable does not recognize the source change. Is that the same problem you have ?

No, this is not the same problem.

To Compare:

• Go to the lighttable view
  • Plug in a SD card with USB card reader
  • Click on “scan for devices”, and the preview will show up (all is fine)
  • Disconnect the sd card (umount and remove from reader)
  • Connect card reader again with another sd card (same model)
  • Click on “scan for devices”, and the camera will show up again the file list of the first sd card but now without the previews

According to the comment not noticing that a camera was disconnected, darktable lists it twice - and stalls when the user tries to use the first instance of the camera · Issue #4917 · darktable-org/darktable · GitHub it is one part of the same problem.
A fix seems to be in work: Fixing camera handling (libgphoto2) via a background thread · jenshannoschwalm/darktable@d586d38 · GitHub

2 Likes