import images from Lumix DC-FZ10002 (cable-USB, Windows 11)

I am new to digital photography, to my LUMIX FZ-10002 and to Darktable.
I am trying to import images from my camera to DT, using an USB cable, unsuccessfully.

I can’t see my camera anywhere in DT after connecting the USB cable. It is recognized and mounted as an USB device; I unmount (eject) it but nothing happens in DT. I can’t see the “Scan for devices” button, either.

May I please have any hint on how to proceed?

I already imported images using PhotfunStudio (a Panasonic free utility), and noticed that each group of Focus Bracketed pictures were stored in a specific folder (which is great), although exposure bracketed pictures weren’t (which is not so great). So, can I expect DT to store bracketed pictures together, any sort of it (exposure, focus, aperture, wb)?

thanks

Hi and welcome!

Your camera needs to be supporter by gphoto2, which it is not: gPhoto - Projects :: libgphoto2 :: supported cameras so that feature isn’t going to work.

Take the memory card out of the camera and use a USB reader, then you should be able to use “copy and import” from the lighttable view.

No.

Welcome @amc .
As a fellow Lumix user and also newer photo hobbyist I’d like to say hello.
It might be preferable to import only the photos you’d like to process/edit in darktable to the DT library.
I take lots of photos of photos, enthusiastically, and I’ve found that I only want to make some of them better in DT. So I import them all to a folder on my hard drive, and only import the ones that I think would be good to edit.
Bruce Williams has a great YouTube video on photo file storage, I’ll see if I can get the link to post up here later today.

Here’s one of them : https://youtu.be/Yhnrrn4Mv-w?si=0AeWcK3_kc3fv3RE

His method is a little more involved than what I use, but the principles are sound…basically keep a single location for all photos, then select the ones you’d like to edit and place them in a directory for DT to access.
I keep mine in a single “PhotosImportALL” Folder, with subfolders for camera type. I’ve found that all the other sorting that I might require can occur in DT (ie: by date, by type, etc…).

Aha. I didn’t know about that. Thanks you very much.
I will decide whether to use DT or the or the Panasonic utility for import.

Thanks, Yes, I will be selective on importing photos to DT. Anyway, I will transfer photos in bulk to my computer for persistent storage. From there, I will select few of them to process (well, to learn how to process)

Yes, I will include Bruce Williams channel to check video tutorials.
Thanks

See also this comment from the libgphoto2 devs.

Have you already seen the Windows specific notes in the FAQ?

In fact, my FZ.10002 was ONCE recognized as the Panasonic mentioned in the libgphoto2 thread you mentioned. But once and never again.
So, I will check the Windows notes to see if I can get my camera recognized.

thanks