Importing photos and precision.

Hi! :slight_smile: Is it possible to make gimp open photos in 32 bit precision by default? Or I have to do it manually every time? I am using Rawtherapy and Gimp combo.

I think that RawTherapee exports a 32 bit float by default, right @Morgan_Hardwood or @heckflosse?

It’s 16 bit through ctrl e in RT… I was rather thinking about setting up Gimp?

In GIMP, the way to promote all images to 32f on import is through “Edit/Preferences/Image Import & Export” and check “Promote images to floating point precision”. But I’m guessing you already did this? as that’s the same place to chose a raw processor for opening raw files.

2 Likes

@paperdigits the defaults for rawtherapee-cli:

• JPG 8-bit
  • PNG 8-bit
  • TIFF 16-bit

In fact I just fixed a bug yesterday regarding this:
rt-cli default bit depth is invalid and leads to corrupted saved files · Issue #4937 · Beep6581/RawTherapee · GitHub
For the time being, specify the bit depth explicitly.

Recently, I cancelled adobe plan for lightroom and photoshop. Now I trying to wrap my head around Gimp and I simply missed this option out, sorry and thanks! :slight_smile:

It’s really easy to overlook various features of new software. I used GIMP almost every day for a couple of years before I finally found the Sample Points dialog - something I used to use in PhotoShop all the time. I was actually getting ready to file a bug report when I mentioned this “missing feature” to someone else, who very kindly told me where it was. Oddly enough, the other person was complaining about a different “missing feature” that GIMP actually already has. So that day we both discovered a “not really missing” feature :slight_smile: .

1 Like