Indication whether OpenCL is working or not

Dear all,

I hope, I am not alone with this dream:

Cheers
Axel

I’d disagree that we need this all the way in the UI. I think it is pretty clear how to check if it is working, and as far as darktable goes, it is binary: either it works or you likely have an issue somewhere else on your system. If the issue is elsewhere on your system, why should the indication come from darktable itself?

2 Likes

Basically you are right 99.99% it is not dt’s fault. However, I thought it is not painful to indicate it somewhere (might be little).

I do have issues from time to time and thanks to powerful Core i9 I didn’t notice right away.

I am using a primitive test and a stopwatch, exporting 10 instances of an edited photo. On my old Windows PC with a 4 GB GPU, this should be at least three times faster than without opencl.
The last time I’ve had also Linux on this machine, the results were even better.
On a much newer cheap Win laptop with the integrated Intel card, the boost is only about 30-40%, and not worth the price, since it can introduce strange glitches. Opencl was disabled on this laptop with Linux, when I have tried for the last time.

Doing such test, I’d rather use the methods I described on GitHub, which is 10 times faster and still not satisfying me :slight_smile:

On my machine I just wondered, why I still had some lag editing white-balance and finally found “ooops” opencl has an udev-issue

I think that an error message when OpenCL is not working although activated in the options would be enough.

Oh yeah, that is perfectly thinking it further!

Sorry for terrible “Germanism”
:blush:

I fixed the clumsy title.

1 Like

With “optimized” instead of “clumsy” I’d be even happier :smile:

Just now I realize, seems my (yes also a bit clumsy) titel from GitHub didn’t get copied to here, rather than the standard description…