Infrared workflow?

I’d like to try some infrared so will convert my old Sony a7 to full spectrum. Does ART have infrared processing capability?

Hi,
Do you have anything specific in mind? Sorry but I’m totally unfamiliar with infrared photography…

Well so am I for the most part having never actually shot in any of the different wavelengths.

I know folks use Darktable and do things like swapping color channels, create false color images using white balance and probably lots of other techniques. I’ve seen some stunning black and white images utilizing different IR filters.

Edward Noble talks about it in his IR guide.

Might be able to leverage this…

Rob has resources for DT … ie some presets that I think from a quick read use the channel…mixer…

Anyway @agriggio poking around there you could likely confirm any issues that might arise in ART…

Well if it’s just extra pixel-level operations, whatever is not there already could be added with CTL scripts I suppose…

I think it can be done via the DCP profiles that Rob has… for DT I think he had to go a different route…

I haven’t had time to poke around… he has some free test images too… but it might be as easy as downloading his profile if your camera is supported and he also offers to make one for unsupported cameras if you send him a raw file…

@priort nice find. I haven’t seen this and will look a little closer. I’ve seen a few of his Darktable videos on IR.

Thanks!

What your after is mostly the red/blue channel swap for color. For b/w, you don’t really need it.

Looks like he has a bit of content on working with IR in DT and some of the basics likely translate to equivalents in ART…

Right. With a full spectrum camera there are lots of possibilities with different clip on filters.

Sure. If you’re in the IR spectrum and using color, then the channel swap is a traditionally used method. Color IR is between 520 and 720nM. 720 and above gets monochrome, where you don’t need to channel swap.

1 Like

You can do channel swapping easily with the channel mixer. If that’s all there is to it, no need of custom ctl scripts then

2 Likes